Thread: P-C 557 biscuit joiner question (newbie)

Question P-C 557 biscuit joiner question (newbie)

Hi all!
    I'm trying to use my PC b' joiner for the NYW router project. I'm trying to slot the back panel of the carcass, and I can't get closer than 6" to the outside panels. Regardless of what the project is it's still a box with boxes in it. The side panels are dado'd by 3/4" so the back piece will be flush with the sides. I'd like to put a #20 in the horiz. piece within a couple of inches of the sides, but the fence, and the knobs on it hit the sides. Is it possible to remove the fence and get closer and still hit it square? The other option that I can think off is just using a couple of screws, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
    Thanks,

Joe

I'm not sure about how to make the tool what you want. I think you should have probably cut the joinery before assembling the case.

Most likely it will be ok to have the first biscuit situated in 6" from the edge. The closest you can get without worry is centered on about 3". So that's not so far off as to be useless. Go for it.

If you haven't done the assembly yet, just cut the slots with the back panel uninstalled.

Hope that helps

Joe,

Don't worry about getting the biscuits so close to the edge. They aren't really there for support...more for alignment. The glue is stronger than the wood.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Hey..... I built that table. Didn't bother w/ the biscuits...... waaaaay to much hassle to deal with.

To do it over again, I'd be using ye 'ol Kreg Jig. If I didn't have the Kreg, I'd using clamps w/ no biscuits. It's just to much hassle to line all that stuff up, and even then it's not a "perfect" fit, only close.

Good Luck, I love that router table. I hope you do to.

What kind of router/lift are you going to use?

Tks

Joe,
    I don't have the Kregg jig YET, but fathers day is coming soon. As for a lift, for right know it's just going to be a Dewalt DW621 and a fixed plate. I'm working on getting the 3hp 5-speed PC with a master lift, but well see what happens. Thanks for the advise.
    Joe