View Poll Results: Which parallel clamp do you like best? (K-body style)

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bessey K-Body

117 59.39%
  • Irwin Quick-Grip parallel jaw

2 1.02%
  • Jet parallel clamp

57 28.93%
  • Jorgensen Cabinet Master

16 8.12%
  • Stanley-Bailey parallel clamp

4 2.03%
  • Woodcraft parallel clamp

1 0.51%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ?s on Parallel clamps-K body style only/poll.

?s on Parallel clamps-K body style only/poll.

I'm starting to think toward getting some parallel clamps. I've mentioned in another thread the sizes I thought would be best for me (not the typical 24" and 40" thinking), and from what I've read in searches here and on other forums, it sounds like the Jets are regarded as slightly above the others.
    So in the poll, pick what you would buy as what you think is the best unit overall (yes I know the pros have another brand they like best, but it is way out of my league). Then I hope you will answer with maybe ranking the 6 I've listed with pros/cons and whys, and even throw in those others I can't afford, or have not listed in my limited scope on what is available. Also list what you think is a really good price. (I realize the 2 - 50" Jets for 50.00 that some reported a year and a half ago will not likely be available again, so keep the pricing realistic please). I'm tracking Amazon and International Tool on the Jet prices since they both list free shipping, as well as one size on Ebay, though that is my least favorite place to shop.
    I'm willing to part with some of the money I've set aside for the cabinet saw if I find prices that are good enough.
    For my initial purchase, I will end up getting 4 of the 31" or 40", and 4 of the 50" or 60", with my preference being the 31s and 50s. It's just that Amazon history on Frozen Warrior shows better pricing on the 40s and 60s over the last 90 days. By quite a bit on the 2 larger sizes.
    As always, thanks for you ideas and help. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 12-07-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim, Jet is having a special sale on many tools including the parallel clamps. They are listed on page 19 of their Big 50 Anniversary Savings Event brochure that you can find at http://woodworking.jettools.com/Medi...nav=Promotions While these prices may not be as good that some have found in the past, they look pretty good.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Not sure what happened as I thought I typed in for the poll to close on 1/15/09. If a Moderator sees this, is there a way to change the polling date? If not, I'll recreate the poll and try again. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Yes Don, I saw that last week on an email from them, but the pricing is not as good as the Amazon current pricing which also includes free shipping. I had hoped there would be some really good deals on them, or some rebates, maybe in the form of a free clamp if you purchase X number of clamps. So I continue my search. Jim.

Hi Jim,
    What is the brand the pros like best? I'm mostly a pipe clamp guy,but I'm curious.

I voted for the Bessy because I have it and it is the best out of all I have. It may have been an unfair poll though because in my opinion you must own or have used all in the poll to be accurate.

I was surprised to see the Jet had so many votes. Interesting.
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 12-07-2008 at 1:13 PM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    I voted for the Bessy because I have it and it is the best out of all I have. It may have been an unfair poll though because in my opinion you must own or have used all in the poll to be accurate.

Dewey, from what I've read, both of those brands clamping is superb, but the Jets have a couple of features that are nice, like if held vertically, the clamps don't smash you fingers, and 1" markings on the bar. I just remembered that Woodcraft is still blowing out 4 40" Besseys for 109.95 with free shipping, and there is a 10.00 off order someone reported about...got to go look that up. Might have to get those for the shorter size of the 2, then watch for the Jets in the larger size, then determine which ones I like best?
    And your clarification of your choice doesn't negate it's place in the poll. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 12-07-2008 at 1:46 PM. Reason: clarified wording.

Never had any of them

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post

Same here. I only own Bessys. I like the parallel clamp style. Dick B.
    Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC -->
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Jim,
    You said:
    "(yes I know the pros have another brand they like best, but it is way out of my league)".

What brand is this?

I haven't used them all but I have looked at them all and it seems they will all get the job done. I own a handful (small bunch I guess) of the K-bodys, a purchase that was driven by price a few years ago, some crazy Amazon sale or other. I guess there are features on some that may offer a slight advantage depending on your preferences, but at a basic level they all seem to apply good pressure, have smooth mechanisms, and help keep things square. The new Bessey Revo's look good too.

Fact is I also like the bessey uni-clamps for many things where the k-bodys are a bit cumbersome. I wish they weren't so expensive or that their patent would run out and be copied for cheaper by another manufacturer.

In any event the k-bodies are a pleasure to use versus pipe clamps in many situations and I'd be happy to own any of the brands mentioned in your survey Jim. The one's I like best are those which are the cheapest at time of purchase in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Jim,
    You said:
    "(yes I know the pros have another brand they like best, but it is way out of my league)".

What brand is this?

Sorry, it took me a while to find it. From Tod Evans over at FWW. Wilton I Bar clamp. Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LE9JZM?...0&linkCode=asn 6000 lbs of clamping pressure!!! 78+ bucks and doesn't even say what length it is. Guess another of those items that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

As an update, I found the Woodcraft link. Indeed 4 40" old style Bessey's for 109.99, free shipping, and the code 1351 in the coupon box gets you 10.00 off a 100.00 purchase. Good enough for me. I've got 4 of them coming. Wish I had some more money and I'd get 4 more. Also wish they had a similar deal on the 50" and/or 60" units. Then my Christmas shopping would be complete...oops, I'm supposed to be buying other people presents. Hmmmm. The also have 4-24" for 89.99. Get something to go with it cheap and get the 10.00 off that. Or get 5.00 off as it is with code 1350. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 12-07-2008 at 3:43 PM. Reason: corrected price on the 24" at Woodcraft. Maybe they lowered it?

Thanks Jim,

I had a ton of http://www.castlewholesalers.com/JOR...Bar-Clamp.html these when I was a full time cabinetmaker. Yes they are heavy and heavy duty. Much cheaper than the Wilton and available everywhere.

Current lineup is Jorgenson.
    Bought a dozen Besseys and really didn't like them compared to Jorgenson.

And I really wished I would have not bought any parallel clamps at all and bought more I-beam clamps

I voted for the Jorgies. I have both them and Bessies. Jorgies are so much easier to work with, don't to fight those stupid ribs on the bar like the Bessies have. Just slide away.........no fuss.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!