View Poll Results: Which parallel clamp do you like best? (K-body style)

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bessey K-Body

117 59.39%
  • Irwin Quick-Grip parallel jaw

2 1.02%
  • Jet parallel clamp

57 28.93%
  • Jorgensen Cabinet Master

16 8.12%
  • Stanley-Bailey parallel clamp

4 2.03%
  • Woodcraft parallel clamp

1 0.51%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ?s on Parallel clamps-K body style only/poll.

I got a set of Jorgenson and a set of Jets.

The Jorgenson performs much better.

They open and close with ease, I'm always fighting the Jets.

I bought Jorgensens first and was not really thrilled. Then I bought some of the original Besseys during one of the sales. I really like the way the Bessey clamp worked so I bought some more. Then, the Jorgensens started to break and as I upgraded with the replacement castings (great warranty service by the way) the clamps worked much better. If I were to be making a purchase today, I would look at the Jets or the new Bessey.

I have both the Bessies aned the Jets, I would say the Jets are the best clamp but I probably use the old style Bessies 4 to 1 over the Jets.
    The Jets are just a lot heavier and I have alot of the 12" K-bodies which seem to be so handy.

I have the old Bessey K-bodies and the JET's. I far prefer the JET's. The Bessey's can be a bit fussy. The quick adjust on the JET's is better, and I really like that I can screw bench dogs into the JET's to then secure them to my workbench.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I got some of the 31" Jets free with a purchase early this year. They are really nice. They seem much beefier than the Bessey's. The handle is great, easy to grip and crank down. Overall they seem to be better than the old-style Bessey's, but they are heavy - which sometimes is a bit of a nuisance. The pricing on the Bessey's at Woodcraft is pretty darn attractive - I don't think you could go wrong there.

Played with the Revo's at the IWF this year - they seem more like the Jet.

Amazon has 24" Jet's listed @ $29 right now. I'm teetering on the edge of buying a few. Four would only be a little more than the Bessey's at Woodcraft.

I suppose I really should quit looking at clamps and starting searching for presents for the rest of the family! Oh well, I've still got 17 days.

I really appreciate the comments that have been made. But there are a lot of you out there that voted but didn't elaborate on why you do or don't like what you have. I will admit that I am a little surprised by the voting. I thought the Jet's would have a heavier concentration from the searches I've done the past few days. Made me feel better about buying the Besseys today.
    Anyone mix the Besseys and Jets using the blocks made for either one of them? BesseyBessey KP blocks.jpg Jet Jet framing block.jpg Do they fit each other's blocks? Anyone using the Jets use the Bench dog pins, and if so are they actually useful, or just a gimmick?
    Thanks! I hope this information is helping several out there. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have both Besseys and Jorgensens, I have on order 2 Jets so I can tell you better when they get here.

At this point I like the Jorgensens better, they have bigger handles and are they slide up and down better. The Besseys lock up at times and you have to work at getting them to move and then when you want them to hold they won't at time.

So if you want to wait a little while you can come by and try all 3 of them.

As a clamp my favorite is still the Jorgensen Cabinet Master. They are an AWESOME company to deal with and this clamp is still US made. In my shop that is a rare item for sure based on the money I want to spend for the quality I seek. Scott from the adjustable clamp co is a member on many WW forums and is a GREAT guy to work with. Met Jim at IWF and he also is a very nice guy. CS from teh Adjustable Clamp co makes Jorgys my favorite.

I do own some Jets and I do own some Bessies and they all get used and I grab them for the features they provide. That Jet clamp trigger is killer. Also the bessies (old style) are smaller and slip between the Jorgys and the workpiece really easily if the work is resting on the Jorgys and I want to add more clamps. All seem to have their place in my shop. The work rests on the Jorgys first though it seems.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have Jets and besseys. to be honest, besseys are not even close to the jets.

Since what I have is Bessey, that's pretty much what I'd likely stick to if I acquired more clamps. They have been good to me. (only one has ever "stuck" and that was my fault for getting glue on the bar) That said, I certainly would consider price, too...virtually all of my K-bodies were purchased on sale or with a show-deal. If I chose to buy more parallel clamps, I'd do it in quantities of four so that it would be unlikely that I'd have to mix two brands in an inconvenient fashion. But at this point, my only need/desire is for some 12" which I don't own. The lighter duty Uniclamps have done well in that size, but there have been a few times that I would have liked a little more stiffness/clamping power that the heavier K-body or similar clamps afford.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I came to Besseys late and they're the only parallel clamps I've used, but I found them, for my small custom furniture shop, a significant improvement over pipe clamps, Jorgensen I-beam, Record light and heavy-duty (t-beam), etc., all of which I had a lot of. It got so that I almost never used a pipe clamp if I could help it.

To be honest, I am a little suprised on the numbers and how little have Jorgies. Although......I know I have more Bessies as I suspect so do a lot of people since there was a string of sales on the Bessies. I picked a lot of mine up on sales. I can't comment on the Jet's as I don't have any. The clean bars on the Jorgies are just so much better (IMO).

Just a little shocking in my eye.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

I have both and prefer the control of the Jets over the Bessey's - put I prefer either over pipe clamps.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Anyone using the Jets use the Bench dog pins, and if so are they actually useful, or just a gimmick?
    Yes... I have used the pins on the Jets and they work very well and are NOT a gimmick in my opinion. I have used them on my bench and on my B&D Workmates. They work great for clamping and beltsanding, outside on a Workmate.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Thanks Lance!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.