Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Entertainment Armoire - PICS!!!

Cherry Entertainment Armoire - PICS!!!

I posted pictures of the matching cherry end tables a couple of months ago, and finally got the main piece done. Cherry and cherry ply, Waterlox finish. Took me 1 1/2 years to complete (I have 3 little kids that cut into my shop time). I borrowed the overall design from one I found on the internet, but modified the molding and trim to suite our own taste. Overall, very pleased with the results.

BTW, the TV is a placeholder until such time as we can swing a 42-ish inch flat panel. Funny thing was, I never measured that little 25" TV until I put everything together. I had to set it up on some blocks to get it to slide back far enough to fit!!

Chris, that is a fine looking piece, I particularly like the double hinged door to fold back out of the way. Thanks for posting.
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Nice job! It sure is worth the effort.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Really lovely work, Chris! Very nice, indeed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nicely done Chris. I like the design!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Chris, I can't find a single thing I don't love about your piece. Great execution!

You armoire

The only thing I don't like about your piece is that it raises the bar a little too high for some of us.

Awesome. How'd you finish it?

Finish

The finish is 2 coats of Waterlox sealer and 2-3 coats of Waterlox Satin finish. Expensive stuff, but does look nice. I put the first few coats on with a sponge brush, but the last coat or 2 I wiped on to eliminate streaks.

the finish is kind of blotchy but as cherry darkens with age it should even out. Good edging on the shelving inside. Some like to leave the ply exposed which is not a good look.

The finish looks a little blotchy in the pictures, but in person, that is mostly the curl in the cherry coming out. I guess that gets back to the old argument about is it blotchy or is it figure....

Extremely well done piece and the finish looks great to me... it is cherry and will most definitely darken with time... Post again in a year or two.

Sarge..

Nice looking piece Chris. I like the subtle arch of the side trim and the double hinged doors. Did you make the cove molding at the top or is it purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cunningham View Post
    Nice looking piece Chris. I like the subtle arch of the side trim and the double hinged doors. Did you make the cove molding at the top or is it purchased?
    Made everything myself. Small fortune in router bits wrapped up in this project (especially if you count the Freud raised panel set). Cove molding was done on the tablesaw.

Absolutely beautiful work Chris! Love the wood, the color and really appreciate your attention to detail! Exceptional piece! Thanks for posting!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!