Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid math question of the day.

Stupid math question of the day.

Hello,
    I want to make a 6 sided box.
    What angle do I set the saw blade at?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

30 - I believe

360 / 6 = 60
    then
    60 / 2 = 30,

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Hello,
    I want to make a 6 sided box.
    What angle do I set the saw blade at?
    Just ran a hexagon on sketchup.......and yes, the miter angle you'd need is 30°.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

FYI the calculation is as follows:

360 divided by the number of sides then divided by 2.

360 = degrees in a full circle.
    number of sides in the box (self explanatory)
    2 because you take half the cut from each end from each piece (ie., twice as many cuts as you have sides)

The formula for finding the sum of the interior angles of any regular n-sided polygon is:

180 * (n - 2) where n is the number of sides

Therefore, to find the sum of the interior angles of a hexagon (six sided)...
    180 * (6 - 2) =
    180 * (4) =

Then divide by the number of angles to find measure of a single angle...
    720 / 6 =

So the measure of each interior angle on a hexagon is 120 degrees. If you want to create simple mitered corners you will need to cut this measurement in half and set your saw blade at 60 degrees.

Reference:
    http://www.mathreference.com/geo,iap.html
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

hmmm

So the measure of each interior angle on a hexagon is 120 degrees. If you want to create simple mitered corners you will need to cut this measurement in half and set your saw blade at 60 degrees.

Hmm its actually 30. Rarely will you find a saw with the capabilities of cutting a 60 degree angle
    But then again if you cut at 30 you have 60 left out of a squared 90 end
    Ive become quite proficient at taking my architects complicated autocad math calculations and translating them into Carpenterese
    He says 71 I hear 19
    He says 63 I hear 27
    He says 146 I hear 34 etc
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

Rich, Matt and Anthony did a nice job of explaining it. Bill

Tim's formula is the wrong one to use for what you want. This formula describe the angle between two adjacent sides of a polygon, not the interior angle measured at the center of a polygon.

As has been stated above the interior angle at the center of a polygon is 360 deg/n sides. The cut angle is then half of the resultant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thomas View Post
    The formula for finding the sum of the interior angles of any regular n-sided polygon is:

180 * (n - 2) where n is the number of sides

Therefore, to find the sum of the interior angles of a hexagon (six sided)...
    180 * (6 - 2) =
    180 * (4) =

Then divide by the number of angles to find measure of a single angle...
    720 / 6 =

Reference:
    http://www.mathreference.com/geo,iap.html
    Tim,

While this is correct for finding the "sum of the interior angles of a polygon", that is not what we are trying to accomplish here. You don't use the interior angle...you use the angle measured from the center of the polygon...or the exterior angle, which is 180 minus the interior angle.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Given the very limited information in the original post, here is what I assumed Rich wanted to do:

"I want to make a hexagonal box"

This to me means: "I want to make a box that when I look down at it from the top I see a hexagon. I want to create mitered corners for the joints. When I cut the sides for the box, what angle should I miter the edges at so when I join all of the pieces up it makes a hexagonal box?"

If I were to make such a box myself I would tip the saw blade of my tablesaw to 60 degrees and cut all the sides from a single long piece of stock. You could quickly make all of the sides by trimming the end to 60 degrees, then flip the board over, slide it to a predetermined stop and cut a side. Then flip again, slide and cut, repeat this 5 times and you should have six pieces of equal length that have 60 degree miters on each end that will make the sides of a perfect hexagonal box.

First attached image is of the assembled sides viewed from the top down. Second image shows the cut lines on a single long piece of stock when viewed from the edge that would make all of the side pieces. Third image shows a way to get better grain "flow" around the outside of the box by alternating the 60 degree cuts. Would take longer to cut this way, but grain matching might look better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

But you can't tip the saw to 60 degrees per se. The scale only reads 0 to 45. Therefore you need to cut based on the 'other' angle (30 instead of 60). Our formulas calculate the same cut based on the 'other' angle.

Remember that angles are always with reference to something else.

This often confuses woodworkers in deciding that if a TS blade straight up perfectly perpendicular to the table top is at 0 degrees or 90 degrees. Keep in mind that most adjustments are only a total of 45 degrees so anything greater than that and one usually must reorient the work to cut at the "90 minus what you want" degrees.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    But you can't tip the saw to 60 degrees per se. The scale only reads 0 to 45. Therefore you need to cut based on the 'other' angle (30 instead of 60). Our formulas calculate the same cut based on the 'other' angle.
    Agreed: when the scale reads 30 degrees the angle of the blade relative to the surface of the table saw will be 60 degrees. The angle of the blade relative to the vertical surface of the fence would be 30 degrees. I've never really understood why they use the angle of the blade to the surface of the fence as the reference and label it "0 degrees". It seems that I am much more often moving a piece of stock with its widest surface down on the table top, rather than up against the fence. The only time I make that kind of cut is for raised panels, which isn't very often at all really. I like to think in terms of the angle of the blade relative to the table surface, but it all works out the same anyway.

That's one of the nice things about the wixey (or beall) angle measurement of blade angle: if you zero it on the table and read at the blade, it gives you the actual angle you cut, rather than 90 - the angle that the saw reads. It may seem like a straightforward thing, but it did create some confusion here.

I think the others have answered the original poster's question quite well. As an aside... years ago Bridge City Toolworks sold an inexpensive pamphlet that gave you blade tilt and miter gauge angles for any number of multi-sided, variously angled boxes, hoppers, bins, whatever. A terrific reference if still available.