Thread: Kerf hinges, advise please

Kerf hinges, advise please

I would like to try using kerf (aka "barbed") hinges with my next batch of small boxes. (For those unfamiliar with these, one cuts slots in the top and body of the box, using a special thin-kerf blade chucked in a drill press, and then simply presses the barbed hinges into the slots.) I've found Woodcraft and Rockler both supply the blades, mandrel and hinges. Rockler's blades and mandrel are quite a bit more expensive than those sold by Woodcraft, but Rockler's (brass-plated) hinges are quite a bit cheaper. Also, Rockler offers a wider range of hinge styles. Can anyone compare Rocker's and Woodcraft's blades and hinges (possibly they come from the same mfgs.)? Are there any other sources that sell higher quality blades or kerf hinges?

Cary

Thanks, Bob. The "data sheets" for the kerf hinges sold by Rockler show they are made by Craft-Inc.

Cary

$70+ for a slot cutter and an arbor seems a bit much.

I've used a slitting saw (intended for a milling machine) mounted on an arbor and used on a drill press with a fence and end stops. The slitting saw has way more teeth than it should for cutting wood, so you'll want to slow the drill down a bit, (~800PRM?) so that it doesn't burn too much.

I got em from McMaster Carr, but any machinist/industrial supply place should have them.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/2460

Measure the hinges for the required size, but it's probably about 2" x .025"
    Blade:
    mmc # 3044A61
    Arbor:
    mmc # 2807A22

That arbor is still pretty spendy, you could probably make do with a cut off wheel arbor and a smaller slitting saw with a 3/8" hole. With the smaller blade you may have to slide the box parts to make the slot long enough for the hinge.

Blade:
    mmc # 3044A21
    Arbor:
    mmc # 4568A18

Most os the keff hinges sold are made by craft inc. However they are a lot cheaper if you buy from them directly.

Bob