Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy, being sucked into the vortex needs HELP!!

New Guy, being sucked into the vortex needs HELP!!

I desperately need advice. I am a newer member, that has been interested in woodturning for several years and now is going to jump in. I have read hundreds of threads and other web sites about lathes, My interest is in bowls. I used to own a bunch of metal lathes up to 26" and included CNC. I have narrowed my choice down to a Powermatic. A new 3520B after rebates is $2850 delivered, thru Friday. I have located a 4 year old 3520A with a few tools?? for $2000. 75 miles away. I am tending to go for the "A" if it is in good shape which the owner says it is. I really appreciate and need your advice. Thanks a lot.

That's a tough one---best advice I could come up with---go look at the used one---it may not have many miles on it---
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Buy both, call me right before you put the rejected one on the curb and I will dispose of it for you.

I have the 3520b and love it the 3520a is also a great machine. If the tools are worth 200-300 I would go with the "a". Ron

Thanks guys, that is, I think the answers that will help me to decide. Also I was wrong on the new price it is $2859. delivered. What is the value of the 5 yr. limited warrenty, and the DRO, and the Index fixture, and the drop down bed extender for larger dia. turning. ??? Thanks again, I really appreciate all of the feed back I can get. I don't want to make a mistake.

The reputation of both of those lathes would at least preclude you from making a real mistake you're not asking us to compare a factory new supershop fro $3k vs. a 3520B for $3k here

Look at the A, if the tools are nice (quality) and / or includes other accessories / hollowing rig, chucks, multiple face plates, etc... only you can decide whether those are worth it

mike

I have neither but like you I have done my fair bit of research on both.

I would go for the new B but taking a look at the A is not a bad idea either.

If you do go look at the A to, don't just look at the lathe but also look at the workshop in general. Look at the rest of his tools and machines. You can tell a lot about how someone takes care of their lathe by looking at everything else.

Alex

The best price I've seen lately for the 3520b is roughly $3300 with free shipping to a shipping dock. I have the 3520b and one of my clubs has the 3520a as the main lathe. Knowing the few differences in the two lathes I think that I myself would probably choose the "a" model if it was in great shape as advertised. I have not seen a demonstrator have any trouble because there was not a readout for the "a" model. Doug Thompson has the "a" model and recently purchased a "b" model if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you could ask Doug this question as $1300 would certainly allow you to purchase a few of Doug's great tools! Good luck with your choice.

Dave - I just wanted to jump in here and Welcome you to the Creek! No matter which lathe you decide on, we look forward to seeing the photos! Again, Welcome!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries

Cool just an idea

how forgiving is she? get them both. that would sink ya perty far in to vortex. if i lived closer i would help you get them home. it would us three days to get their. i could bring bernie and a chain saw bring some wood home. merry christmas john t

It's always nice to get "Brand New", 5 year warranty = peace of mind.
    2850 sounds like a good price delivered.

My two cents from a purely financial perspective:

If you are brand new to wood turning I would suggest buying the used lathe if it is in reasonably good shape. If you decide to upgrade your lathe later you won't take much of a hit on resale because the prior owner has already absorbed most of the depreciation. The same will be true if for whatever reason you decide turning isn't really for you and you want to sell it off. (Unlikely, but hey, it could happen... ) Also, if there is one thing I have learned about woodworking it is that the cost of "miscellaneous" supplies can add up in a hurry. The $800 you save by buying the used lathe will help out in buying finishing materials, sharpening system, special chucks, tools, buffing system, etc.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Buy both, that would be the perfect "His and Hers" purchase.

However I have no experience as to whether this is a good idea as I'm still using Diann's lathe when she's not.

regards, Rod.

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.

Win-Win for sure!

This is just a great situation to be in because you cannot make a bad decision here! I agree with the advice to see the used + tools. Flip a coin if you have to and get ready for some enjoyable times turning and learning.
    BTW, I have a new "B" and have no complaints at all. Your new price is like it was before the price increase. I've had mine since early autumn. This forum is the place to be for tons of advice and inspiration. Welcome, Dave!

Randy

Thanks everyone, for all of the advice. The decision had (unfortunately) to be put off from today, due to a death in the family. I should correct that not my family, but that of the seller. I am hoping that I can get back to it the first of next week. I am very eager to get a machine into my space. The bowl blanks are ready etc. Your forum is invaluable to me from all that I have learned by puting questions into the forum search. Thanks again, I'll keep you updated as this progresses.
    Dave Ogren