Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet Construction Question

Cabinet Construction Question

I am building some storage cabinets for a basement. I got to build two exact units. The doors are 24'' wide, 30'' long and 1/2'' thick. The rails and stiles? or frame that connects to it is 2" wide and 3/4" thick. (Disregard the 1 3/8 in the pic)

The way I plan on doing it is the way it is shown in the pic. I'm trying not to use dadoes because I'm not set up for that. My question is can I get away with doing it this way. And is this strong enough for the doors? Thoughts.

And thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plenty strong but the finish nails will not be needed. Glued and clamped with biscuits or without will do nicely... plus, no nail holes.
    David DeCristoforo

Do you Have Pocket Hole Capabilities, I find it to be much quicker and it'll be plenty strong for your doors.

You know what Dave, your right. I guess underestimated the strength of biscuits and glue.

I was just a little worried because when I installed some kraftmaid kitchen cabs a while back I remembered them being dadoed. And I just thought that maybe I can do it another way.

Jacob - I wish I had one, I think I can make my own though. I'll look into that.

-Sam

I don't even use the biscuits anymore, Sam...well, occasionally I'll put a few at the top so I have something to "hang" the face frame on while I'm positioning it for glue and clamps. And for built-ins where I can't clamp and need to install the face frames after the carcasses are hung, I'll tack with 23 gage pins which are virtually invisible. In the end, it's the glue that does the work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Biscuits are for alignment, they are not needed for strength, a 1/2 plywood side, 30" tall has 15 sq inches of glue surface.

Pocket screws where they won't be seen, just glue and clamps where I can't use screws. If I have a big frame, like a full height cab I will use some biscuits for strength.

I also use biscuits on bottoms for some shear strength if I think the cab will hold heavy weights. That is overkill but is easy and mostly for piece of mind.

ETA: Not related to the strength of the glue up but if you have a router, a 3/8 straight bit and a scrap piece of hardboard and plywood you are set for dadoes. Lay the hardboard or mdf down, glue and attach a piece of plywood scrap (straight) roughly parrellel. Run the 3/8" bit down, cutting the hardboard with the edge of the router against the plywood. Instant zero clearance dado guide. I use it a lot, someday I may make a fancy one but it works. Even with one I wouldn't do dadoes, they really aren't necessary.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Chritz; 12-11-2008 at 9:02 PM.
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

All the above have you on the right track. If you don't have a Kreg jig yet you should be ask for one for Xmas IMO

Happy Holidays
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

IMMMMMMHO, pocket screwing face frames to cabinets is a complete waste of time. Biscuits will help align the sides (or top or bottom or partition) with the frame which is really all dadoing does. But I have been gluing face frames to plywood boxes for more years than I care to mention with no nails or biscuits or dadoes or pocket screws and I have never had one come off. At least not one that I know of!!! In fact, the few times I have attempted to remove a glued on face frame for one reason or another, the frame was destroyed in the attempt.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    In fact, the few times I have attempted to remove a glued on face frame for one reason or another, the frame was destroyed in the attempt.
    Which is the reason for using screws: they work in both directions.

"...the reason for using screws: they work in both directions..."

A point. But I don't take the face frames off my cabinets often enough to justify the extra hassle. And my customers have never requested removable face frames.
    David DeCristoforo

"And my customers have never requested removable face frames."

Well, they just don't know what they are missing! LOL

Fred M

David,
    I hope you know I was simply recommending the jig not suggesting how to put a face frame together.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Alignment of the faceframe with the carcase is the first critical step. How the FF is attached comes second. Dados or splines or biscuits make this alignment very easy. IMO pocket screws have no value in aligning these parts for final assembly. This is just not what they do best. Pocket screws cannot be used on an exposed cabinet side, Nor do I wish to see pocket holes inside my cabinetry. They best do their job out of sight. A few biscuits, glue and pin nailer sounds most reasonable to me.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

IMMMMMMHO, pocket screwing face frames to cabinets is a complete waste of time. Biscuits will help align the sides (or top or bottom or partition) with the frame which is really all dadoing does. But I have been gluing face frames to plywood boxes for more years than I care to mention with no nails or biscuits or dadoes or pocket screws and I have never had one come off. At least not one that I know of!!! In fact, the few times I have attempted to remove a glued on face frame for one reason or another, the frame was destroyed in the attempt.
    I agree. You will never see me using pocket screws any more than you will see a line of holes 32mm apart in any of my work. They are not a replacement for good joinery.

"...the reason for using screws: they work in both directions..."

A point. But I don't take the face frames off my cabinets often enough to justify the extra hassle. And my customers have never requested removable face frames.
    While I don't use the pocket screw method often, I will say that it came in major handy when I had to scribe both sides of a face frame to fit into the "fabulous fake fireplace" (stone) in our kitchen. I kept the two outside stiles unglued so I could work one at a time for the scribing due to clearances. A few pocket screws at the top held the face frame on the carcass set in the opening and I used some blue painter's tape to "clamp" the bottom flush during scribing. My current method of flushing face frames with the inside cabinet walls so I can use non-face frame Euro hinges is also very conducive to using pocket screws for assembling the face frames to the carcases...the FFs overhang the cabinet boxes, so all the pocket screw holes can be on the outside of the carcases. That said, glue in the end is the real "fastener". Screws, pins, biscuits and so forth are just assembly aids.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...