Thread: Closing up the shop for the winter.

Closing up the shop for the winter.

The rust and cold got the best of me . Went to the shop to build some picture frames for a Christmas present, and spent more time cleaning the rust off my machines then woodworking. I had waxed all the machines with Johnson’s wax but I guess it wears off fast. So when I finished the frames everything got a coat of Boeshield. The shop 18’ X38’ on the 2nd floor of my 34’ X 38’ unattached garage. I wanted to insulate and put up OSB this year, but I ran out of two of the necessary components, time and money . All may be for the better, I’ll have all winter to plan, save money and keep a look out for deals.
    I’ll post a list of machinery that will get shoehorned in to the shop on the workshop forum.
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kilburn View Post
    The rust and cold got the best of me . Went to the shop to build some picture frames for a Christmas present, and spent more time cleaning the rust off my machines then woodworking. I had waxed all the machines with Johnson’s wax but I guess it wears off fast.
    Ed, I am a metallurgist by education but have not practiced such in 20 years.

But this I know: If you waxed it “well” you can come back 100 years later in an environment like Louisiana humidly hell and there will be no rust. For rust to form, there needs to be moisture, and wax (and grease) is 100% effective in preventing the diffusion of H2O vapors if applied properly. This assumes it was not wet at the time of the waxing. Military weapons coated in grease properly will be good for hundreds of years.

My suggestion: Clean with a solvent like Windex or Fantastic. After this, all previous protective barriers are gone, but so is all surface moisture. Immediately then put another coat of wax on (and this time you will know it is free of water). At woodcrafters, there are some great (but expensive) sprays that seem to work well (one can is $19, but after 6 months I am still on my 1st can.)

Thanks Lyndon, I've tried Top Cote and Johnson paste wax. About two months ago I waxed all my machines. I really coated in on to the point I used a car buffer to rub out the wax. About a week later planned jointed and ripped about 100 ft of oak. Since then the temps have dropped into the teens, we had a couple of high 50's with high humidity. When I checked out the shop it looked like everything had been hosed down. The cold iron and moist air is a bad combo, rust on all the tops. I had the same problem with the machine shop before I got insulated wall up.
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?