Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the DeWalt TrackSaw?

I've tried one. I also own a Festool TS55.

You really can't go wrong with either. The DeWalt track allows you run the saw in the track in either direction. The Festool does not -- you have to flip the track around. Not a big deal, unless you're dealing with a really long track in a really tight space.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    The DeWalt TrackSaw, as advertised on this forum, looks interesting. Has anyone tried it? Anyone designed a stand to turn it into a panel saw - or does it already have such an accessory?

The Dewalt has an anti-kickback feature that I like. Does the Festool? IIRC, it doesn't but it's been a while since I looked.

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

The Festool does not have the anti-kickback feature. That might be handy if you were developing a panel saw idea. That feature can be turned on and off pretty easily so it would work great.

Festool TS55/75 have that nice anti splinter device on the guard though.

ALSO, It looks like there is another drawing for another free tracksaw on Dewalts site. You should enter - maybe a free one will make the decision real easy!
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 12-12-2008 at 8:39 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks for the response Mike. I'm somewhat on the fence about the two saws, though I seem to be leaning toward the Dewalt. It'll be a while until I can afford one...though I will be entering that drawing. You just can't beat free

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    The Festool does not have the anti-kickback feature. That might be handy if you were developing a panel saw idea. That feature can be turned on and off pretty easily so it would work great.

Festool TS55/75 have that nice anti splinter device on the guard though.

ALSO, It looks like there is another drawing for another free tracksaw on Dewalts site. You should enter - maybe a free one will make the decision real easy!
    Mike,

The TS 75 does have an anti-kickback feature -the slip clutch. Also, both saws have have a limit stop, which also helps in preventing kickbacks.

I have not seen the DW, but looks good from the videos I have sen. It's good to have choices!

Bob
    bob m

This looks like a viable alternative to Festool and Dewalt track saws.
    Certainly less expensive. Everything I've ever bought from these people has been of excellent quality.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PPS-2.html
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

That's the one I used to want except it had a 108" rail back in '02. They only have the modular one now which is two pieces.

The Festool has a spring-loaded riving knife, which helps reduce or eliminate kickback.

The DeWalt has one, too. But the DeWalt also has another "anti-kickback" device, which I couldn't quite figure out. I think it's basically a built-in version of the Festool device that clamps onto the track to keep the saw from trying to go backwards during a plunge cut in the middle of a workpiece.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Knighton View Post
    The Dewalt has an anti-kickback feature that I like. Does the Festool? IIRC, it doesn't but it's been a while since I looked.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO View Post
    Mike,

The TS 75 does have an anti-kickback feature -the slip clutch. Also, both saws have have a limit stop, which also helps in preventing kickbacks.

I have not seen the DW, but looks good from the videos I have sen. It's good to have choices!

Bob
    Bob is very correct about the slip clutch on the TS75. In my comparison we only compared a TS55 and Dewalt tracksaw.

If money is the same on the two saws, why not go with a dealer like Bob or Jason that we have as members on the forums. You would most certainly get the best customer service you could hope for and that is usually 24X7 and weekend support.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 12-13-2008 at 5:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    Yeah I know....I didn't know they came that long....I even looked on the website before posting but I guess I didn't drill down far enough, I only saw the 75" listed. I did see the price though and had to chuckle. Imagine spending $500 on just a rail....must be nice to be able to do that. Us workin' folk just can't justify a cost like that when I can get the same result from a $48 level.

That said, the one piece rails are definitely better than those that have to be assembled to length. Glad to see someone is making them right these days.
    Kelly,

I agree about the cost. Pretty high. I have the 3000mm. I bought it just before the price went up in April. It was pricey, but nice to have for ripping 4X8 sheets of ply lengthwise.

With the longer rails, I think a big part of the price is the number that are sold and the cost of shipping. There are not many people who need a 5000mm (197") rail. And shipping something that's 16 feet long is probably a bit pricey.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

If you do go Dewalt - for another $99 you can add on the 108" in a package I believe.

I've had a couple different panel saw setups and find that the use of a guided saw is the best and easiest for me. I use both the EZ repeaters and EZ square along with the smart table. That allows me to take the repeater and do the rip cuts. Then I take the square or cabinet maker and do the cross cut. This literally allows me to put a sheet of plywood on the table and take off cabinet parts. With a combo of my age and health that really helps.

I agree with what someone said about cut quality. I've compared my EZ system to a unisaw with a 60 tooth blade and a Msakita LS1212 with a 96 tooth blade cutting the same stock. The EZ cut was better. That "Zero clearance" insert effect helps.

To give DIno a little credit, Eurekazone was the first with anti-chip protection on both sides of the blade. The EZ rail is the first bi-directional rail. Also, I don't think that I have ever heard kickbacks discussed on the EZ forum. The kickback problem is created with the front plunge saws.

I just recently sold my last unisaw and am moving forward with just the EZ system. So far - so good!!

Burt

just to stoke the fire here the makita version is available now as well

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    The Festool has a spring-loaded riving knife, which helps reduce or eliminate kickback.

The DeWalt has one, too. But the DeWalt also has another "anti-kickback" device, which I couldn't quite figure out. I think it's basically a built-in version of the Festool device that clamps onto the track to keep the saw from trying to go backwards during a plunge cut in the middle of a workpiece.

JW
    Ah! Thanks for the correction.

Either way, they both look like great systems and well worth looking into for me since a table saw just isn't a viable possibility for me.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post

JW
    Jason,

The riving knife actually does nothing to correct the primary kickback problem with Festool. As I understand it, the primary problem is caused by dust buildup inside the saw. This build-up can cause the blade to be in contact with the material being cut when it shouldn't be. Since the rail is rather thin, it doesn't take a lot of buildup to cause this. Festool includes a stop with their saws to help prevent injuries when this happens.

Burt