Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on how to build a workshop countertop / table?

Advice on how to build a workshop countertop / table?

Hi all,
    I'm starting to set up my garage shop and I need some advice on installing some basic work-tables (countertops).

Here are my shop basics.

Power Tools:
    - Contractor's style table saw (Rigid 10" table saw w/ mobile base)
    - 14" Bandsaw
    - Lunchbox planer
    - SCMS
    - Drill press
    (I got most of the above at a big garage sale, and I still need some more basic tools like a router, jointer, etc).

Shop Space:
    - 19' X 19', 2 car garage
    - I share the space with one car
    - Upgraded electrical (110V and 220V throughout)
    - Recently dry walled and very well-lit

So it's basically a nice clean slate at the moment. Now it's time to start laying it out, adding built-in counter space, hanging pegboard, adding cabinets and shelves. The fun part!

I pretty much know how to do everything but the countertops. By that I mean I'm going to buy used cabinets (on Craigslist) and install them myself; shelving and pegboard are easy.

But I don't know how to built countertops! I got a bunch of "Setting up Shop" books from the library, but they don't talk about making basic "against the wall" countertops. I basically want to line one wall of my garage (parallel with a parked car) with countertop space, 2' wide. I'm sure they are easy to build, but I need some kind of plans.

The attached PDF has a photo of exactly what I want to eventually build. I saw this a year ago and it really captured my imagination. I love the idea of rolling carts that double as infeed / outfeed support. For starters, I want to build the countertop part (see PDF), and add the carts later, but I can't find any plans out there that are even remotely close to these countertops. In fact, I haven't found any plans for countertops.

I wasn't sure where to post this-- was thinking workshops, but it's mostly about how to build something. Also, sorry I had to Zip the PDF file (it was too big as a PDF to attach, although it's only 350K).

Thanks,
    Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tons of different answers.

3/4" Plywood with replaceable 1/4" hardboard top
    3/4" MDf with laminate top
    3/4" Plywood sealed

Really depends on what you want and if you want it replaceable

The how-to portion will depend on what you want.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I made my first set with 2x4's and plywood....resawed the 2x's so they had sharp edges, then built a grid that looked like a ladder. Used some of the 2x's for legs and installed the tops. They worked very well and were very cheap. MDF is very flat and makes a decent surface top but I had access to Birch ply so I used that.

My first doghole table is still in my shop. I cut down some 2x12's I rescued off a jobsite where the former deckbuilder tried to build some stringers. He had chickened out and installed step brackets after marking out the cuts. I just planed them down a bit, ripped them into 4" segments and glued back alternating every other one. Then I ran the whole top through a 48" planer...dead flat.

The bench it sits on rolls on casters....I think it will will be in my shop long after I am gone...
    Last edited by Kelly C. Hanna; 12-11-2008 at 10:21 PM.

When I set up my garage workshop I made the work surfaces by using MDF on a wall hung frame made of 2x4's. Nothing touching the floor. Made one just like it for a friend also.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    Then I ran the whole top through a 48" planer...dead flat.
    I bet that was SWEEEEET!!! Had to be an awesome sight!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I went with cheap, heavy, thick route.

Big box store wood: rounded edge 4x4's for corner posts, 2x6s, 2x4s, ply
    2x6 outer box with 2x4 horizontal bracing every 12 inches under the table which is dual sheets of sanded pine 3/4" plywood. I left room for a replacable 2x4 leading edge. Bottom bracing with 2x4s and another 3/4" ply shelf.

Whole thing took maybe 2 hrs.

leftover 4x4 pieces make for great drilling backstops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I bet that was SWEEEEET!!! Had to be an awesome sight!
    Sure was...cost me only $35 and the sight was indeed one to marvel....sure saved me a ton of work!

I built my worktable big. Its a plywood carcas with shelves, clamp storage, and a place to store my lunchbox planer which I never use anymore.

The top is 3/4" plywood with 1/2" MDF on top of it. It is trimmed with 3/8" baltic birch plywood.

This is a seriously strong table.

I would build all the cabinets in your shop. Its a badge of honor, and as you get better at woodworking, that urge to replace them reminds you that you have improved.

This is a pic of some of the features I am very happy with. Sorry about the mess ..

These are the clamp racks that are right at my feet when working.
    115V Electrical plug built into the workbench and a place to store the old planer.

At the end of the bench there is space for 3 longer clamps. All hidden away inside the bench.

The top is just plywood, MDF and Baltic birch trim. Nothing fancy but tough..

I built the entire table 1/4" lower than my tablesaw. Including casters. So it doubles as an outfeed table for the saw. Another bonus and space saver. I just need to catch whoever is constantly leaving a mess out there..
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 12-12-2008 at 5:50 AM.

But what about plans or books to build countertops?

I appreciate the replies, esp the pictures. Are counters really easy to build? Should I just start cutting? I feel like I should be working from some kind of plans. The only books I can find relate to "Cabinet construction," which isn't what I'm looking for (yet). I need a "Workshop Countertop construction" book. I poked around on ShopNotes, Wood, PW, and FWW websites, but they don't have any plans for a simple, built-in workshop countertop (most of what I found is free-standing workbenches).

Any books or websites you guys could point me to?

Thanks,
    Greg

Go to Library

I am building something similar. There were 4 books I checked out that would cost be over $30 each had I bought them. They have step by step procedures.

Greg,
    For what it's worth; Check out the New Yankee Workshop episode,where Norm rebuilt the radial arm side of the shop.You can watch/tape the video on tv or purchase the plans & modify it to your own set up.Don't just start cutting! You'll spend time & money & will then come up with a better plan. Drawer a few ideas out on a sheet of paper to make a sketch of what you want & see how it works out. Think of the future,not just the immediate.You will always want room to change or add things.my shop is the same size, but I don't need to share it. I built wall cabinets all around the perimeter walls. On 1 wall I have my cut-off bin & sheet storage area. Above that I have 2 shelves for dimentional lumber. You can effectively use 3 sides, if you plan correctly for the space on the side where the car is parked.
    Keep us informed on what developes. Have fun!
    John
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    These are the clamp racks that are right at my feet when working.
    115V Electrical plug built into the workbench and a place to store the old planer.
    I see that you have some of the Stanley parallel clamps. How are they working out for you?
    War Eagle!

Lyndon, can you share the title of the books you got?

Posted by Lyndon Graham: I am building something similar. There were 4 books I checked out that would cost be over $30 each had I bought them. They have step by step procedures.
    Lyndon, will you share the title of the books you have? My local library can pretty much get any book in print (I go there often). I rented a bunch, the best ones were Wood Magazine's "How to Build a Great Home Workshop" and The New Best of Fine Woodworking's "Workstations and Tool Storage." But the latter lacks detailed plans, and the former (which has nice plans in it) doesn't have a "How to build a countertop" plans.

Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg L. Brown View Post
    Lyndon, will you share the title of the books you have? My local library can pretty much get any book in print (I go there often). I rented a bunch, the best ones were Wood Magazine's "How to Build a Great Home Workshop" and The New Best of Fine Woodworking's "Workstations and Tool Storage." But the latter lacks detailed plans, and the former (which has nice plans in it) doesn't have a "How to build a countertop" plans.

Thanks,
    Greg

I am at work, look for a post from me tonight (Pacific Time)

Thanks Lyndon, I'd appreciate that.

-Greg