Thread: If you sand too much off a lidded box tenon...

If you sand too much off a lidded box tenon...

If you sand too much off a lidded box tenon is there any way to fix it?

The suggestions so far have been:
    a. firewood
    b. put in on a high shelf so no one will mess with it
    c. glue, sawdust, and resand

More seriously, is there any trick to recovering. This box is one of the first I've done and not much to fret over, but I'd hate to get into the same situation with one I really liked. Maybe it just takes more trial and error and patience, which I'm sometimes short on.

Chuck that is a very pretty lidded box. I gave one to my aunt because she want on for her rings. She had me take it back and take some off the lid tenon because she couldn't get it open with her arthritis in her hands. So I don't make all my boxes with suction lids for that reason. I sell just a few more of those than the suction lids.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Try this...

Chuck,

Bummer! (Can you say that on this board?) I think you've a couple of good options:

1. Tell everyone you were going for a loose fit. A lot of people (mostly women) like a box they can open with one hand. Pick up the lid with your right hand and drop you rings in the box with the other...
    2. Turn away the old tenon and replace it with a tenon turned from contrasting wood (like adding a collar to a hollow form). If any of your turning friends ask, tell them you get a better grain match this way. (They won't believe you, but stick with your story.) Non-turners will simply think the contrasting wood is a nice decorative touch.

That's a pretty box you turned. If I were you, I'd go with option 1. Seriously, I've a box on my desk at work filled with paper clips. It had too tight a fit and I grabbed the lid to pull it off the box before the lathe had spun down. The friction burned the tenon so that I had a loose fit. I was so ashamed of it I didn't show the box to anyone. I just took it with me to work (because I'd spent so much time on it I couldn't bear to throw it away). That was five years ago. It's long since become one of my favorite objects -- that loose lid is perfect for paper clips. I don't need to use both hands whenever I need a clip.

Next time, don't sand the tenon!

HTH.

Hi Chuck , yes you can save that box quite easily, have a look at my pictures, you'll see the sleeves I use in my boxes to keep the grain lined up as I only loose the thickness of a very thin cutoff tool.
    You can do the same, in cutting a recess and glueing a ring or even a solid into that, than make it to fit the other part, just take your time and most importantly, Have fun and take care

Oh and if you Sc#$w up again just turn out the sleeve and start over again, it does work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 12-12-2008 at 12:37 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Chuck - your lidded box looks great to me! I wouldn't do a thing to it!

I have only turned one lidded box back when I was first starting out. I really took my time and made a great suction fit. Problem with that is the only folks that will impress are other turners. Most people would never notice if the lid came off nice and easy - only notice if they have to struggle to remove it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wise man told me a few days ago while I was complaining about the problems with my current project that "it isn't screwed up until you can't fix it."

Nice looking turning by anyone's standard if you ask me.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I'd leave the box alone. It's quite pretty as is.

I don't understand the point of a suction fit. It's sort of like creating suction fit drawers on jewelry boxes or night stands. Takes a lot of work and skill but will annoy the users.

Give it away and I bet whoever gets it will be delighted.
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

Looks fine to me!

You say you sanded it "too much". Diamiter, or hieght? You could cut it a little deeper if it is hieght, Or maybe even dia.
    Bob

Most woodturnerl love the suction fit. Most customers don't. If the lid doesn't come off easily, they put it back down on the table. Especially if you have a nice finial like yours. They tend to lift the lid off by the finial. Having it slightly loose is a good thing. Just a tiny bit of suction is fine. Too much suction is a bad thing.
    robo hippy

Thanks for the advice, encouragement, and sympathy. At this stage of my wood turning I welcome all three!

I'm going with the "leave it alone" crowd and move on to the next one.

I do like David and Leo's suggestion. I love to (try to) match up the grain and I'd never thought of that little trick.

Thanks again.

If it is not too loose a fit you can build up the tenon portion with medium CA glue. Apply accelarator and return for a tighter fit. Tom Crosby from the Tyler, Texas woodturners told me about this trick and I have used it on some of my own problems. Works great but do make sure the glue is cured before assembly.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

I have found that a loose fitting lid will sell better than a suction fit. The suction fit lid only impresses other turners. Someone trying to take the lid off with one hand while holding a piece of jewelery will appreciate a loose lid...as long as it's not too loose that it rattles.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Bees wax

Touch up the tenon with a little bees wax and you may be surprised.
    God is great and life is good!