Thread: Homemade vacuum chuck

Homemade vacuum chuck

While working on the lathe the other night my brother was in the garage and asked me how exactly you attach the wood to the lathe. I explained the various ways including a vacuum chuck which I don't have. That night I began contemplating vacuum chucks and how to build one. With a bit of research I decided I would start building one tomorrow. Turns out it is easier than I thought. It didn't cost me a dime because I already had everything I needed.

1. First I got a hold of a wet/dry vac which luckily was already in my garage. It is 3 HP by the way.
    2. Next I got a can that fit over my hand wheel and created a seal between the can and the headstock. The seal is basically cut up bike tire.
    3. Next I cut a hole in the bottom of the can and made a seal for where the vacuum hose would go through. The seal for this is also made of tire.
    4. Next I mounted an old piece of wood about 4 inches long and 3 inches wide. I hollowed it out and left it about 1/3 an inch thick. I sanded the rim a bit and then attached a seal. The seal is made of an old yoga mat. I stapled it on and cut a small hole in the middle.
    5. Next turn on the vacuum, attach the can to the headstock and lastly attach the bowl to suctioned headstock.

Boom it was that easy. It took me about 2 hours total. I had to play around with a few different types of seals to find the best kind. I might change the seals later.

I tested a few different bowls I had. The bowl in this picture is about 9 inches wide and I took it up to 1000 rpm and it seemed alright. I put a smaller one on there, that was about 6 inches wide and I took it up to 1600 rpm no problem.

If anyone knows of anything I did wrong or can improve please tell me.

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.1 KB, 208 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (101.6 KB, 205 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (95.5 KB, 184 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (102.1 KB, 210 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (99.0 KB, 190 views)

Sure looks slick Alex, the only question I have is, you are sucking on the heastock bearing and maybe are sucking dirt etc into that bearing from the other side, other than that, does your vacuum have cooling for the motor separately, otherwise you could burn-out the motor, having a opening in the intake might be a good idea, as long as you have enough suction, it is usually not a problem with larger items/area, it is the small pieces that don't have enough area to give you the holding power that will be the problem.
    Have fun and take care

Yeah I was worried about that for the smaller items. I am thinking of getting a stronger vacuum. I looked on Craigslist and I saw a 6 HP for 40$ and that seems like a good deal to me.

Alex

Hi, Alex:
    I have been using a shop vac as a vacuum source for about 2 years. I use the Nova vacuum adaptor which fits inside the hand wheel on Nova lathes. When I first started using it I did not bore a bypass air flow hole in the hose and the bushings went on the motor of my (admittedly old and cheap) shop vac after about 11 months. The motor still ran but I couldn't stand the noise of the screaming bushings. Lubing them only helped for a short while so I bought a new shop vac. It has been working fine for about a year now but I did bore the bypass air flow hole when I got the new vac. I don't know if it was the lack of bypass air or the extended run times when using the vacuum chuck that did in the bushings on my old one.

As far as the chuck goes, it doesn't have to be a drum. I have two that I use all the time, one about 6" diameter and one about 10" diameter. They are just a piece of melamine sheet with a self-adhesive foam on the face and some closed cell foam weather stripping around the edge for when I am mounting a bowl larger than the diameter of the chuck. Here are a couple of pics of the larger one:

Take care
    Bob

Bob those both looks like great ideas and I am going to make them tomorrow. The seems like the best way to go.

Alex

Alex,

I realize this is an old post, but wanted to ask you how you like/liked the lathe that is in these pics. I have been considering it for sometime, but it is hard to get info beyond General's website.

Regards,

Matt

Matt, Alex has not posted in the last four months and may not view this thread. I suggest you email him for information.

Thanks John!

Regards,

Matt

but I still check it John! Even without a lathe I still have the turning bug!