Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday December 12, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

13 days until Christmas!

Here we are, not even to the winter solstice yet, and I've had enough winter for this year. We got another 9 inches of snow Tuesday. That puts our total, of 17 inches, only an inch behind last years record breaking 100+ inches. There's something to look forward to. It's -2º right now, but at least it's clear. We got to see the full moon for a change and was it ever bright. With the snow cover the moon lit everything up almost as bright as the sun.

With the cold temps I don't think I'll be able to get into the shop again this weekend. Just takes too much propane to heat the place for a few hours. I really need to get the rest of my shopping done though, so maybe I'll do that this weekend.

So what's up in your neck of the woods for the weekend? If you're in the south, maybe shoveling snow?? Just kidding!!! I hope. Anyway, I trust you all will have a great weekend. Please make it a SAFE one also.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Howdy Neighbor!
    Im hearing you on the snow - altho I think we only got 8.5'' down here in Sauk City (about 15 miles away, for the uninitiated). Sure am glad I broke down and got a snowblower this year!
    I am hoping to get into the shop and burn up some propane! Finished installing the the furnace in my shop last night, and there should be a gentleman here in ~15 minutes to do the final hookup and fire er' up for the first time! I may not even touch a stick of wood - I'll just sit in the shop and enjoy the fact that it's not at thermal equilibrium with the outside!
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather wise - it's been cold here, but no snow yet. Next week is going to be much colder and making me wonder if biking into work is going to be possible Monday with -20 wind chills.

Weekend - well, my Son is going to have his first birthday tomorrow. So that is pretty much the weekend for me. Haven't had much shop time other than having to put up trim around windows.

Michael

1. Survive work today.
    2. A few small turnings left to turn.
    3. Pack for 2 week trip.

No snow here yet Karl but while I worked in a hospital 8 hours yesterday, the temperature took a massive drop. Snow is predicted between now and Monday.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I hope to get somne shop time to cut up the stock for some frame/panels that will be the start of a desk project. But we just had some WILD weather here in New England - nothing like the snow you got, I'm sure, but we got lots of rain and in some areas lots of icing - trees down, power lines down, etc. We only got rain where I live, but had some big limbs come down (only casualty was the kids' swingset), so it looks like I'll be playing lumberjack tomorrow instead.

On the drive to work, in a span of 2 miles, it went from 61 degrees to 40 degrees, and then eventually down to 33 degrees within another few miles. Probably the fastest drop-off I've ever seen...
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

err. lots of crud, plus my brother is moving to my town, so him and his 4 yr old are staying with us for the weekend till they get their new place set up.

Other than that:
    -Put up Crown Molding in the kitchen
    -put in paneling in the kitchen
    -drop the existing gas outlet about 6 inches in the kitchen
    -finish cutting boards
    -plant trees

and the list goes on and on!
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

We got our light dusting of snow here in Louisiana yesterday. My wife was out on the porch taking pictures before daylight. It all melted off by mid morning. For some reason we got the least of it in Lake Charles, the surrounding areas got quite a bit more than us.

This morning I'm going to try to finish my Christmas shopping. Then, this afternoon I'll work some more on the bathroom vanities I'm building for our master bath.

Tomorrow morning the second split of duck and goose season opens. My oldest son and I will be going but my younger son has to work, he's going to college and working a part time job at the one of the local small box lumber yards, so he hasn't had much time to hunt with us this season. It's really great when we can all three get togeather for a hunt though.

Tomorrow Steve Sawyer, my daughter, and I are heading up towards Lansing to pick up a bunch of lumber and a few other things from a member of our club that's moving to California. Hopefully we'll also have time to stop at Johnson's while we are up there. Sunday is my birthday and I have no idea what is planned. I still have some Christmas shopping to do and I'll probably have to do some work work since I have to visit a customer all week next week and I have a few issues to deal with for other customers.

No snow here, but nearly 3" of rain in the last day...

This will be largely an equestrian weekend...riding later today, lessons tomorrow and a show on Sunday. I may get into the shop to clean up after the tack trunk project so I can start whatever comes next when I have time, but it's unlikely that I'll get any woodworking done this weekend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My goal is to make it home tonight, and hopefully to Bellevue and back Sunday. We are expecting 6-10" of snow over the weekend with temperatures down to 16F by Monday. I have an all day sign installation today in a downtown Seattle high rise, and another parking garage job Sunday morning that has to be done when there are no cars driving around.

If this happens as predicted I may have a lot of time at home early next week, since no one will be able to go anywhere with the snow/slush turning to ice, schools, stores and everything else usually shut down when it's that bad.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

It's the office Holiday party tonight, then I'll be chasing whitetails across the Pennsylvania countryside tomorrow.

I'm hoping that I can get a few hours to work on turning a pair of wooden bowls on Sunday, but that's going to be about all.

Buddy wants a router table so I plan to help him with that. Going to help him repurpose some countertop or a desktop for a WP router plate and a 5625 from Mark at HeavyDutyTools! Man his prices this year on BF were AWESOME!

Anyway, I want to also build a Horserace game or two.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

People all of a sudden decided they want to buy cutting boards (and a small book rack), so I have a ton of cutting, glueing, routing, and sanding to do. But I'm still going to go deer hunting tomorrow morning. There's a buck that has been teasing me all season.

I finshed up a shoe rack for the local homeless childrens shelter today.Then I had to install my mother in laws new dryer.I will be at work over the weekend.

I've got to build a base for my new Woodpeckers router table. And make some progress on a rocking chair I'm building for my niece.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.