Thread: Runout and Dial Indicator

Runout and Dial Indicator

I am a novice, with a new Dewalt DW745 Benchtop table saw and a dial indicator.. I measured whether the blade is parallel with the miter slot, and I get runout of about .05. It varies a little each time I measure it.., but usually it's about .05. Is this reasonable? I know I can't expect too much accuracy from a contractor's benchtop saw, and I don't want to drive myself crazy adjusting it.. thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Matt, do you mean .05 or .005? (50 thousandths or 5 thousandths)
    Are you checking the same spot on the blade e.g. put a pencil/Sharpie dot on the blade, set your indicator, rotate blade and check the pencil mark again?
    Is the blade running true when you turn it?

.05 is way out and needs to be corrected. .005 is still farther out than it should be but probably useable. I have my cabinet TS set up within .001
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Matt, check it just like Bruce said. If its still out, change to another blade and check it again, and while the blade is off, check the arbor with the dial indicator. .05 is WAY to much, and I would consider it unsafe to use. With that much runout, you could easily see the blade wobbling when turned on.

Thank you for the info! I may have misspoke on "runout" - my measurement was that the blade is not PARALELL to the miter slot by .05 (5 hundredths). (I kept the blade stationary, and used the dial indicator attached to the miter gauge to check this). Is .05 really bad for the blade being out of parallel with miter slot? It's a benchtop contractor's saw (Dewalt DW745)
    Last edited by Matt P; 12-13-2008 at 1:36 PM.

Like Bruce suggested, make a mark on the blade. Measure from the miter slot then turn the mark to the other side. Measure again. If it is .05 out, that is too much. I try for .001-.002.
    Also, keep the indicator in one place. Turn the blade. This will show if the blade is warped, or the arbor is bent.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Paldy View Post
    Thank you for the info! I may have misspoke on "runout" - my measurement was that the blade is not parallel to the miter slot by .05 (5 hundredths). (I kept the blade stationary, and used the dial indicator attached to the miter gauge to check this). Is .05 really bad for the blade being out of parallel with miter slot? It's a benchtop contractor's saw (Dewalt DW745)
    Matt, if you are checking it like Axl & I have suggested and you are seeing .050 then yes, that is too much and it could cause a kickback when ripping. .050 is more than half the thickness of your blade, assuming that you have a 3/32 blade (.093) in your benchtop.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

yes, but you are referring to runout, what about .05 out of parallel with miter slot??

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Matt, if you are checking it like Axl & I have suggested and you are seeing .050 then yes, that is too much and it could cause a kickback when ripping. .050 is more than half the thickness of your blade, assuming that you have a 3/32 blade (.093) in your benchtop.

Put a mark on the blade. Check it as suggested. That will show if it is parallel with the track.
    You must check for parallel by using the same spot on the blade.
    Here is a how-to:
    http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/tsalign.html
    There is a video at the bottom of the page.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 12-13-2008 at 2:08 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

ok - i see now! d'oh! thank you Axl.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Myk View Post
    Put a mark on the blade. Check it as suggested. That will show if it is parallel with the track.
    You must check for parallel by using the same spot on the blade.

Hopefully, this thread clears up the difference between *runout* and *parallelism* of a saw blade. Two different animals, two different problems!

Next will be aligning the rip fence with the miter slot, once the blade is parallel with said slot.....
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 12-13-2008 at 6:06 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thankfully, once the miter track/table and blade are aligned, the fence is a cakewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Paldy View Post
    yes, but you are referring to runout, what about .05 out of parallel with miter slot??
    Matt, you have to have a true running blade before you can check the parallelism to the mitre slot.

There is also a master plate that can aid in setting up a table saw.
    http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...%20Plate&smode=

Andy Rooney