Thread: Diamond in the Rough

Blog Entries

Diamond in the Rough

I've been sitting on this cocobolo for a couple of years. It's been up in my loft and when I got it, it was wax covered, so you really couldn't see the grain, but you still knew that you had something good....

Well...I decided to make a box out of it and just ran it through the planer and ran it down to 7/8".... I don't know if the picture does it justice, but...when the wax coating went up in to the planer and I saw what was coming out...it took my breath away.

Sweet! Post a completed pic of the box. What type of joinery dovetail, box joint?

Blog Entries
    Haven't even got that far yet....

I'm still looking at it trying to decide which piece to make the lid out of. I do know that I am going to accent with Yellowheart.

Ed,

That is some beautiful wood!

My wife can't believe sometimes how one can take what appears to be a rather bland piece of wood...plane it or turn it and discover something utterly beatutiful underneath the surface.

Gorgeous wood! Can't wait to see the box you make from it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    ...it took my breath away.
    That's really something.

When I saw your last line, I was reminded that when I last worked Cocobolo, I caught a bad cold which didn't go away until I was done with the project. I later determined that rather than a cold, it was an irritation due to the dust. I'll still use it, but in the future, I'll be very careful about inhalation and dust contact.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    That's really something.

When I saw your last line, I was reminded that when I last worked Cocobolo, I caught a bad cold which didn't go away until I was done with the project. I later determined that rather than a cold, it was an irritation due to the dust. I'll still use it, but in the future, I'll be very careful about inhalation and dust contact.
    For me it is a skin irritant. So you might want to cover up too.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Ed, that wood deserves one of your very nicely designed boxes - can't wait to see it!

too bad that color will fade-cocobolo aways has that Wow! factor when first cut but after a while it turns dark.

Nice looking wood there Ed. I've always liked Cocobolo. It should be very nice when finished. Can't wait to see it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Well .. my good neighbor in Flowery Branch.. I highly recommend you lock those shop doors very tight every night. Word is there is a "cocobola bandit" operating in the area and he would love to get his hands on some grain that intense..

Just a warning of course...

Regards...

The "Cocobolo Bandit"....

Blog Entries
    I started cuttin' it up today.... posted a Project in Progress in this thread over in Woodworking Projects.

Don't want to be a smart you-know-what, but you sure that isn't Bocote? It has the color and grain pattern of Bocote. All the cocobolo I've seen in much redder.

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, it's cocobolo....