Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mulberry Hollow Form Critiques welcome

Mulberry Hollow Form Critiques welcome

Here is my second hollow form ever. It is Mulberry 4 inched wide and 3 inches tal. The finish is Minwax Antique oil buffed out.

MulberryHF.jpg

Critiques are appreciated, I still am not completely happy with a couple things and would like to get you guys take on it.
    Mike Vickery

Mike, don't be too hard on yourself, that is a nice looking piece. A lot of mulberry pieces don't look as good as this one.
    Good job.

Nice looking piece Mike especially for a second. The only critique I could offer is slimming down the thickness of the collar, or perhaps insetting it into the form just a bit. I think this would continue that nice form a bit.
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

That's a great little pot. Excellent choice in the grain orientation, too.

I thing that the only thing I'm uncomfortable about is the collar. For some reason, it's not blending in comfortably, at least to my eyes. Mike Fuson has some interesting ideas. If the current collar is still free to be removed, perhaps you can experiment with some variations. You can do them in any scrap you have lying about and just spray them black for effect. Once you nail what you like the best, duplicate it in the species of your choice. (Of course, a painted collar isn't a horrible thing, either, if you want to keep the winning test piece!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks good to me. I'm no expert but I know what I like and I like this!
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Great looking piece Mike. I like the grain orientation on it. Looks good to me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mike,
    It is indeed a beautiful piece. That said, agree w/ the collar comments, and you might try for a more parabolic rather than circular profile. Mine are also too spherical. Take a look at some of Neal Addy's and Keith Burns' HF's.
    Last edited by Richard Madison; 12-13-2008 at 7:14 PM. Reason: Forgot Neal's last name
    Richard in Wimberley

Mike - very nice hollow form! I like the grain orientation! As others have said - the collar would probably look a little better if it was flush with the mating surface. That being said, you could also turn a small finial with the base of the finial duplicating the small curved outer edge of the collar. Then everybody would be happy!!! LOL

Seriously, very nice HF! Great finish and really nice photo! Keep them coming!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

To my eyes, the vessel looks fine in it's up and down symmetry, but the leading edge of the collar stands a bit tall and interrupts the curve of the piece. If possible, I would rework the edge and make it much thinner, which would further emphasize the curve of the vessel. If that is not possible, perhaps a 3" tall finial with an element that reflects the shape of the vessel would help balance the proportions of the piece.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Well I love it just the way it is, dont know that I would change a thing. Great job!!
    Good looking wood too.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Mike, I also like it just as it is. That wood is beautiful too.

As for a suggestion about the collar, I can't remember who told me this but they said that collars, feet, and other features should either be made to blend in with the form or stand out from the form. But if they fall in between it's hard to tell which was intended. That would be my only critique on the collar, I can't tell which way you were going with it. I really like the simple form on this piece though.

Yes I think if you would drop the collar right flush with the body you'll be happier with it.
    I also shed some more light onto the object
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have fun and take care

Mike,
    As stated the collar looks just a tad off as it seems to have a wee bit different curve as to the piece it sits on. The other thing and again it may be the picture but the curve at the bottom of the piece seems to straighten out a little which just makes a proportion issue to my eye. Now that is just pure nit-picking as this piece is very well done and just begs to be held and sort of caressed. Keep them coming.

Standing proud is the point!

Mike, I think you and I have the same eye for things of this nature. If the collar was all blended in it would not be a collar but just a glued in contrast piece. To me the collar should stand proud and bring your eyes to that point as you look at the piece. When it is all blended in something is lost. So it looks to be that the critiques are about 50/50 just like everything at the end of the day are you and whomever is going to own it are happy then it is perfection!

I agree the grain orientation is perfect and you can't go wrong with the spherical shape!

Keep up the good work!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I love it just as is. The collar is a very subtle addition and works so well with the form. That grain is outstanding in this piece...Bill...