Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northwest Chill

Northwest Chill

After the 6" of snow Saturday night, and Sunday's high winds most of the day, we had a clear night with the stars and moon shining brightly. This morning it's 17 degrees, and supposed to get even colder as the week goes on. In our 15 years here the coldest was 13 one night last winter, and it looks like that could be beaten tonight.

I don't know if our cold is related to the ice storms and frigid weather of the northeast, but I hope those people are doing OK and warm up soon.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Good morning Joe! Yup....teeth chattering cold here in the Inland Northwest too! We were supposed to get into the single digits last night. Haven't looked yet to see if it made it. Just about 1" of snow when I went to bed last night. Schools closings north of us in the panhandle. Blizzard conditions when we went to bed last night.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

9 am yesterday morning it was 60 degrees winds from the south, by 5 pm it was 8 with winds from the north at about 30 mph..... darn Canadians can keep their cold air masses!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    9 am yesterday morning it was 60 degrees winds from the south, by 5 pm it was 8 with winds from the north at about 30 mph..... darn Canadians can keep their cold air masses!

Is it a result of NAFTA?

I was wrong...it only got down to 14º F here last night.
    Ken

Woke up yesterday and went to bed last night with 60º F temps outside. Woke up this morning to 31º F with winds blowing and temps staying about what they are.

Woke up feeling crappy with sinus and sore throat. What a way to enter into a holiday season.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I can almost feel my face again....

after walking from the parking lot into work, -30 C (-22F) here this morning, -45C (-49F) with the wind-chill....Looked at my wireless weather station this morning, max temp this summer 38C (100F), min temp was this morning....wow what a variance!

Hey Ken...At least there is no duties to be collected...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Is it a result of NAFTA?

I was wrong...it only got down to 14º F here last night.
    Just wait Ken, look for colder yet tonight, and Friday is supposed
    to be the coldest of the week.

I just remembered to turn off the pump in the fish pond, and found 1" of ice on top.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Joe,

Saturday night I remembered our outside potable water spigot that we use to fill the 5th wheel tanks. I ran down stairs and shut off the valve to it. Then outside to open it and let it drain. Whew!
    Ken

Woke up at 5AM and it was 4 degrees, minus 14 with the wind chill, went into the shop and it was a nice 67 degrees. The weather station just reported that it is warming up outside, up to 7 degrees, probably need to turn the heat down in the shop now.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

For those of you who don't love the cold, I'm wishing warm breezes your way. 71 today, headed for 77 on Wednesday. Going to the beach in December, man life's tough.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    For those of you who don't love the cold, I'm wishing warm breezes your way. 71 today, headed for 77 on Wednesday. Going to the beach in December, man life's tough.
    It's 71 there? I never thought of you as being so mean!

Sammamish, WA

Well, in McKinney it is 25.4 at this hour, with a low this AM of 24.

However, Our son lives in Bend Oregon, and it was 3 below there this morning. Currently, it is +2.9. in Bend.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    It's 71 there? I never thought of you as being so mean!
    Yes, Joe. I'm sorry for being so cruel. Actually I wish we had a little cold weather occasionally. It would be nice to wear at least one or two my sweaters. I don't know why I still have them.

On New Year's Eve last year it was a little cool for swimming, but a bunch of us stood around in the pool anyway. Then we went out to the dock and drank Champagne. IIRC it was in the 50s that night. Just right for a light jacket.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Yep, Christmas is right around the corner, and I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt right now. Man I love living in South Georgia

Of course, in August we'll have 100+ temps with 100% humidity on a daily basis, so it all evens out

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Knighton View Post
    Yep, Christmas is right around the corner, and I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt right now. Man I love living in South Georgia

Of course, in August we'll have 100+ temps with 100% humidity on a daily basis, so it all evens out

Tom
    LOL....!!!!!! Our weather here (in August) resembles that remark very well Tom!!!! 27º F and freezing rain all day so far today.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.