Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Wood Choice

Help with Wood Choice

I am about to embark on a project to build some bunkbeds. Most of my projects have been out of cherry but I am looking to not spend quite so much.

My wife would like to stain to a dark mahagany or dark cherry color. She does not like the grain of oak so that is out.

What hardwooods should I consider that would be less expensive then Cherry/Mahagany, but would stain well to a darker color.
    Thanks

I know that it is more popular for painted pieces, but I have actually had good results with poplar staining to a dark mahogany. You have to be real selective and stay awy from the green tinted pieces, but I've have done it several times and had good results. Be sure to use a sealer or wood conditioner.

African mahogany or Brazilian cherry. Both are about 40% less in cost.

The guy at my local lumber yard recommended maple, which kinda makes sense since it's closed-grain already. Of course, maple doesn't like stains, so using a darker dye would be necessary.

I've use Lyptus, which resembles mahogany but costs about a third less. It usually comes in large, straight boards, so there's not much waste.

I applied Bartley gel varnish, layering their brown mahogany and Pennsylvania cherry colors to get a color similar to what you might see on commercially made furniture.
    http://www.lyptus.com/default.aspx

Would douglas fir be an option to consider? Not hardwood but it would cost alot less and easy to work??

Here is the picture of what I am patterning after. This is going to be the biggest project to date. I wish she just wanted it painted, that would be easier.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Moore View Post
    Would douglas fir be an option to consider? Not hardwood but it would cost alot less and easy to work??

Here is the picture of what I am patterning after. This is going to be the biggest project to date. I wish she just wanted it painted, that would be easier.....
    Doug Fir is quite soft and unless you can find a quality yard with some good dry stuff it can be a bit unstable. I bought some KD stuff and then stickered it for a couple months in my shop. After I built the piece it continued to shrink to the point where I am going to have to rebuild. Just my experience, YMMV.

Lyptus, alder or a careful selection of poplar (avoiding the green and gray streaks) would be my choice for cheap.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the comments on douglas fir.

Part of the trouble is availability of wood. Here in FL, I don't think we get alot of options because there aren't many hardwoods that grow anywhere nearby and therefore, the few yards that I have only carry the common stuff and some exotics.

Here is a list of what is available. Maybe I should have started with that.
    http://www.intercitylumber.com/Lumber.html

Species
    4/4 (1" Thick)
    8/4 (2" Thick)
    16/4 (4" Thick)

Ash
    $2.80
    $4.00

Basswood

$6.80

Cherry
    $7.50
    $9.50

Hard Maple
    $6.25
    $7.25

Mahogany
    $10.50
    $10.50

Poplar
    $2.50
    $2.50

Red Oak
    $4.25
    $6.00

Soft Maple
    $4.25
    $5.25

Teak
    $24.00
    $24.00

Walnut
    $6.50
    $8.50

White Oak
    $4.25
    $7.00

Well, if oak is out then likely ash is out, too, since they are similar looking. Ash isn't as open-pored as oak but it isn't closed like maple.

Looks like poplar or soft maple are your choices. Can you spring for the soft maple? Don't let the name fool you: soft maple ain't so soft!!

I was going to suggest birch but that isn't on your list.

Scour your local craigslist and you might get lucky.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Good idea on Craigs List. Thanks. I have seen hardwood available there as well but never at the right time.

I put in zipcode 33619 in the woodfinder.com search engine. The closest it found was 114 miles away, but they have a couple types of mahogany for reasonable price. And a wider selection of lumber, in general.
    http://www.chipmunkhardwoods.com/

Matt,

That's a pretty ambitious project that, IMO, deserves as good a wood as you can afford.

I will check into the chipmunkhardwoods. That is quite a drive and may or may not be worth it.

Someone else mentioned lyptus. I found this post on craigslist.

lyptus hardwood for 2 dollars a board foot. lumber widths vary from 2 to 6 inches and are 16 ft long. this hardwood is used extensively for flooring, cabinets, etc. if you are not familiar with this hardwood you can go to lyptus.com for information on this lumber. call 727-434-3658 for more info.

I also found another post on craigslist that is not too far and their prices are at least a $1 less per board foot than the other source I normally use.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Matt,

That's a pretty ambitious project that, IMO, deserves as good a wood as you can afford.
    That is an excellent point. I would do cherry but she does not want to wait for it to be darker and I think she wants it darker more like the picture below anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whoa.. I will let the guys help you as they are doing an admirable job of doing so far... just wanted to comment that the prices they are charging would send many into shock in the Atlanta area. I pay around $1.90 for red oak and $2.30 for white with QSWO around $3.90. The other prices are extremely more also and the ones above are just an example.

I would suggest you have a look at Steve Wall's web-site in N. Carolina as the prices with shipping would be cheaper than what you are paying local IMO.... I could be wrong without researching but I don't think so.

Good luck...

Sarge..