Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Wood Choice

I've used lyptus before. Its pretty easy to work. Very straight grained. Most people who see it won't guess its lyptus either.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Matt,

That's a pretty ambitious project that, IMO, deserves as good a wood as you can afford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    I've used lyptus before. Its pretty easy to work. Very straight grained. Most people who see it won't guess its lyptus either.
    I did some searching on lyptus and it definately looks like a good option especially at $2 bf. I am awaiting a return call from the CL poster. It does not say if it is rough or not. I want to work with the rough.

After all of this...... I think we are going to choose poplar. I want to make the beds and with the color that my wife wants I don't think it is wise to pay alot for another hardwood and then stain it dark.

Now, I hope our local supply has enough in stock. I did not see much over there today.

If you can't find enough clear poplar for staining, be sure to sample stain some of the greener poplar to ensure it looks all right after staining. This will tell you if you need to pick clear poplar...which could be quite trying.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Well, if oak is out then likely ash is out, too, since they are similar looking. Ash isn't as open-pored as oak but it isn't closed like maple....
    I wouldn't be so fast to rule out ash. It's a beautiful wood to work with, stains well and is reasonably inexpensive. If you don't like the look of its grain, quartersawn ash might provide the appearance you are looking for. (I sometimes use quartersawn ash veneer for the interior of boxes--it has a very uniform appearance.) You should use a filler, and applying a conditioner would give the stain (or dye) a more uniform appearance.

Cary

I am a big fan of maple and don't use much cherry so that would be my first pick for a bed like that.

The difference is likely not that much when you figure how much a similar piece would sell for retail with much less quality.

Some advice I got a long time ago is "it only hurts once" meaning once it is purchased you can enjoy it for a long time after.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Why not consider a nice clear/select pine? It's more affordable than most hardwoods yet not as soft as standard pine, and there are no knots. I think it's an attractive wood and you could stain it to any color you want.

Matt,

I would strongly consider alder. It is a reasonable replacement for cherry in the looks department, although it is a lot softer. I don't know where you live, but if you live near the northeast corner of the US, it is often cheaper than pine, and doesn't gunk up your tools with pitch. I made a china hutch for my wife a couple of years ago and wanted to use cherry, but it was ecconomically unfeasable. The alder worked well as a substitute. www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54897 It mills well and takes stain well if you use a pre conditioner. Good luck, and we want to see the results.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Lyptus or eucalyptus grandis are decent choices. They look like African mahogany without the ribboning. Eucalyptus takes stain and dye very well. People warn that it can get stringy, but I found it to machine very well. I used it on a sofa table with af mahogany and after dyeing, you can't tell the difference.

If your head and footboards are going to have wide, flat surfaces (vs spindles) you should consider using birch. Baltic birch ply could then be used for the panels. (In fact, even if yr using maple or pop, you could use BB for the panels).

A dark (like mahogany) gel stain will act much like a paint anyway, so I don't think you'll have much staining probs. You might practice with using a 'priming' coat of thinned, dewaxed shellac to even out the absorption.

But heck, if you've worked w/ cherry, then you probably know how to deal with stain probs on maple/birch/poplar already.

What about Birch ?

Nobody mentioned Birch. If available, it takes stain well and is strong and works well. Lots of cabinets use it for doors and drawer fronts to simulate Maple or Cherry. Just a thought.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Nobody mentioned Birch. If available, it takes stain well and is strong and works well. Lots of cabinets use it for doors and drawer fronts to simulate Maple or Cherry. Just a thought.
    Thanks. I would do birch but it is not available at any of my supplies in anything other than plywood.

Liptus...which is a wonderful substitute for mahogany at a much lower cost would be a nice alternative.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    See post #9.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.