Thread: Handed vs Un-handed Rasps

Handed vs Un-handed Rasps

I have a few Auriou left handed rasps and love them. See the following post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99208 concerning a supplier of rasps similar to Auriou.

These new rasps are un-handed whereas the Auriou rasps that are available from France are available in right or left handed versions.

Opinions & Thoughts?

Thx Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Hi Bill,

While the handed rasps cut slightly stronger in their respective directions, my work doesn't layout so well for handed rasps. Think of files. As far as I know, no one makes handed files. So they are fairly ineffective in the opposite direction. Handed rasps are less directional, which is a good thing. But, if they are handed or not, I cannot tell.

I bought a few from TBT last week and we have been using them. Equal of the Auriou I also own.

Seeing how David provided his disclaimer in the other thread, I too will. I do have a business relationship with Lee Richmond. So take what I write in light of that. For years before that relationship began I have been a long-time customer of TBT's.

Take care, Mike

I read that other thread and checked out the new TBT rasps. I wondered if they were handed like the Aurious.

I don't have an Auriou rasp. The main reason I never acquired one was because they were handed. I can see how that feature could be of benefit, but it didn't appeal to me. I'm a lefty (sinister); I write left handed, throw left handed, hold my fork in my left hand, but that is about it. I play guitar right handed, and learned to do so many other things the right handed way that I can switch. I can plane with the tote in either hand, I can file with the handle in either hand. I frequently switch hands when using a rasp or file so that I don't get tired. Having a rasp set for a specific hand would make switching inefficient--so I avoided the Auriou rasps.

I think the new line at TBT will be a big hit.

I never thought about files being handed but I guess it would not be a bad thing but for a rasp with raised teeth vs rows of ridges, I think it not such an issue versus a file..

Side Note:
    The Nicholson # 49 & 50 Rasps at TBT have a great price..
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 12-17-2008 at 4:03 AM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I have a old set of Craftsman Rasps and Files, and it sees little use.

When it does however, it does what I need it to do, but then I dont do any intricate wood working at all, just basic stuff for the house, Im no pro, hardly even a serious Hobbyist.

For some reason Scrapers and chisels and a sanding block is really all I need most of the time, Im guessing if I had the talent to Carve, a big Auroiu Rasp could be real handy.

Looking forward to se what ppl use them for, and maybe even some pictures of the work they done, this is a great forum.

Eric

"For some reason Scrapers and chisels and a sanding block is really all I need most of the time, Im guessing if I had the talent to Carve, a big Auroiu Rasp could be real handy."

There are some jobs that a coarse rasp will take care of much faster than sandpaper. One of these is making a cabriole leg - once the blank is sawn out, you use a rasp to break the corners, then break the subsequent corners. That's a lot of material removal, and while it can be done with a flat bench chisel, a spokeshave, or conceivably a detail sander with a very coarse grit, a rasp is a good deal faster (at least faster than the flat bench chisel or the spokeshave - I haven't tried a detail sander).

Another good use for one of these is chamfering the back of a complex-curved apron to smooth it and remove tear-out from a turning saw or jigsaw. It's tough to do this with sanding blocks - the rasp provides a coarse tooth on a rigid, narrow platform that makes getting into the recesses easy. I suppose that could also be accomplished somehow by using a emery board like ladies use to file their nails, but I'd think those wouldn't be stiff enough.

Thanks David.

If I ever get to the point of making something like you mentioned, I'll break out my old rasps, They do indeed remove stock pretty rapidly, to the point I realize you need to be a bit careful even.

Eric