Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ripping thin strips - which of these two options

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Matt,
    I notice no one recommended the GRRipper but it is a top notch product and the only pushing device on the market that holds the kerf open as it is pushed past the blade.

As you go now for the Rockler, Consider for later in your WW ventures.
    I will second that. I have 3 Grippers and I wouldn't be without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    As thin as you want. You just use a stick to hold it against the jig. (though the guard might get in the way.)

I haven't used my Gripper in 2 years. There is usually a better tool.
    I agree...my Gripper hit the sale rack on ebay a few weeks after I bought it. Virtually useless to me.

Ever buy a toy for your cat? Same thing....self made cat toys and shop jigs are almost always better!

Dan

the rockler jig does work by moving the fence each time. the wood stops up against the jig and you just lock down your fence.

I have the GRRipper, and it worked, but my strips were a little wider at one end - I think because as the GRRipper passed over the blade, the tail end of the board was not pushed snug to the fence..

here is the link to the video on how to use.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...bSelect=Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Paldy View Post
    Which jig is better/safer for ripping thin strips:

GRRipper, or jig (pic attached)?

a) With the jig in the picture, how thin can the original board (i.e. the purple one in picture) become as more and more strips are cut from it? The guy's hand is going to get closer and closer to the blade..

b) I tried the GRRipper, but it was difficult to hold the entire wood piece snug against the fence to ensure a uniform width of cut.

I am confused. Thanks in advance!
    Matt
    I tend to use a version of this jig for ripping thin strips. My stop block is attached to the end opposed to the side making it easily replaceable. Thin strip ripping with a Grrripper or normal push just won't work well. I tried the Rockler style jigs, but I could replicate the pressure and fence position well enough to produce strips of a uniform thickness. With this jig, the fence never moves and you can rip a 6" board into a pile 1/4" strips in 5-10 minutes.

Using a Gripper I can safely rip strips as thin as 1/8" all day long. Have you ever watched the video on the Gripper and all its applications ?

Grip tites work great for this application.

http://www.grip-tite.com/

You guys are going to laugh, however for thin strips I rip them on the shaper using a feeder and a Dimar 707N-125-4 grooving cutter.

The cutter is 4mm wide, 125mm diameter which is a good fit for biscuits also.

Regards, Rod.

I would use a bandsaw.

I happen to like the Grripper. I use it on the router table all the time.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McCann View Post
    here is the link to the video on how to use.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...bSelect=Videos
    I know this is a little off topic...but did that guy in the video really stand there and let the wood fly back at him? Man, he's lucky it didn't hit is face! I don't think I'd do that for a demo....

Incra products with their indexed movements make ripping strips like this pretty easy and straight-forward. However, getting down to the really thin pieces is trickier and that is where a Grrrripper comes in handy....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

You got it right. You have to readjust your fence for every pass of the stock. The jig allows you to quickly and accurately set the fence at the right distance from the blade to give you an offcut of the desired width.

Dan, With the rockler you have to move your fence and stock against the jig for each cut. You don't have to readjust it after the initial setup.

I have a GRRIPPER. It's good for widths down to 1/8" which is as thin as the inside leg goes. I like it, bkz you don't have to readjust the fence.

However, the downsides are:

1) The rubber feet have to be cleaned frequently with alcohol to avoid slippage.
    2) You have to use it with the guard off, which is always scary.

You can keep the kerf open with the Rockler thinrip jig by keeping yr guard or splitter on.

If I had to do it again, I'd use Rockler.