Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ripping thin strips - which of these two options

Ripping thin strips - which of these two options

Which jig is better/safer for ripping thin strips:

GRRipper, or jig (pic attached)?

a) With the jig in the picture, how thin can the original board (i.e. the purple one in picture) become as more and more strips are cut from it? The guy's hand is going to get closer and closer to the blade..

b) I tried the GRRipper, but it was difficult to hold the entire wood piece snug against the fence to ensure a uniform width of cut.

I am confused. Thanks in advance!
    Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt P; 12-16-2008 at 7:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Paldy View Post
    Which jig is better/safer for ripping thin strips:

GRRipper, or jig (pic attached)?

a) With the jig in the picture, how thin can the original board (i.e. the purple one in picture) become as more and more strips are cut from it? The guy's hand is going to get closer and closer to the blade..

b) I tried the GRRipper, but it was difficult to hold the entire wood piece snug against the fence to ensure a uniform width of cut.

I am confused. Thanks in advance!
    Matt
    As thin as you want. You just use a stick to hold it against the jig. (though the guard might get in the way.)

I haven't used my Gripper in 2 years. There is usually a better tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    As thin as you want. You just use a stick to hold it against the jig. (though the guard might get in the way.)

I haven't used my Gripper in 2 years. There is usually a better tool.

If the guy holding the purple board were smart, he'd glue on a scrap peice edge to edge so's he'd never get too close and could use the whole purple board with fingers intact.

I like using this by rockler for cutting thin strips. it is also on sale now for 18 bucks.

Blog Entries
    You can rip small strips without a fancy jig. Use a solid push stick, most people use inadequate push sticks. Use a sacrifical fence, maybe a featherboard also. Typically I will cut a new notch or heel on my push stick, take my fence down to 1/4 or smaller and cut. The first pass through will cut a blade width in the stick but leave material to push the stock. Be brave and stand to one side.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ez...es/1647107.jpg

Here's my jig.

I use the Rockler jig also, it works great.

[quote=Mike McCann;993530]I like using this by rockler for cutting thin strips. it is also on sale now for 18 bucks.
    That is how I do it and I do it a lot. Only I made my own jig for about $1 works for me.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Here's mine I use with various thickness push-sticks I make for given task.... You can cut them on either side with or without the dust shield.. this was to demonstrate to someone ripping 1/8" strips. The Rockler should work fine but I agee with Jim on just making it or any other jig IMO.

Sarge..
    Attached Images Attached Images

That jig in your OP is an accident waiting to happen. My advice, do not use it, do not make, do not touch it. It actually offers less control of the stock than ripping off the fence, and it offers the least control when you need it most. If you understand the physics of kick back, that thing should scare you.

Either make a good push block and rip off the fence or use the Rockler jig or a shop made facsimile. Charles Neil has a video demonstrating his version of a jig submitted to FWW Nov 2005 for ripping thin strips safely, so check You Tube or FWW for that reference. Mr. Neil's jig is first rate.

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I am using the Rockler and really like it.

I did wax the inside and it slides a lot better now then when I first got it. It is a great little jig and works really well

I'm glad I asked!! Yikes - will get the rockler jig. Thank you everyone! - Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    That jig in your OP is an accident waiting to happen. My advice, do not use it, do not make, do not touch it. It actually offers less control of the stock than ripping off the fence, and it offers the least control when you need it most. If you understand the physics of kick back, that thing should scare you.

Either make a good push block and rip off the fence or use the Rockler jig or a shop made facsimile. Charles Neil has a video demonstrating his version of a jig submitted to FWW Nov 2005 for ripping thin strips safely, so check You Tube or FWW for that reference. Mr. Neil's jig is first rate.

Matt,
    I notice no one recommended the GRRipper but it is a top notch product and the only pushing device on the market that holds the kerf open as it is pushed past the blade.

As you go now for the Rockler, Consider for later in your WW ventures.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

How does the Rockler jig work? It looks to me just like it pushes on the left side of the stock, and you have to re-adjust your fence each cut (if you're making multiple of the same width). Am I missing something?