Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortiser or Drill Press

Mortiser or Drill Press

Ok guys, I really need help deciding what tool to purchase next. I know a lot of advice on new on tool purchases is based on what projects are comming up. Here is my situation, my wife has plans picked out for a set of bunk beds that are mission style and will require a lot of mortises. I have never done much with mortises. I have usually used biscuts when possible or pockets screws. My shop is in need of a drill press. As well, I have made due in various ways with out a drill press (i have a good friend that treaches basic woodworking at the local high school and in a pinch he lets me use some tools, but they do not have a mortiser). I was hoping to get lucky with the MS cash back deal again but it is looking less and less likely. And as the avid bargin shopper as most of us are. I have been intrigued with the jet floor mortiser JFM-5 at JetCPO for $499.99 -$150 in rebates + shipping 29.99 = $379.99. Orginally I thought about just a bench top model, because floor space in my shop is at a premium, but with the great price on the floor model it is more and more attractive. I have also been interested in the steel city drill press which is being sold by a local distrubitor for $469. I know I can make mortises with the drill press and twist bits and then clean them out with a chisel. I also know there are about 1000 different methods to creat mortises. I also do not like to by cheap tools, I have been burndt by craftsman and other brands too many times. So if I am going to buy a tool I want it to be the last one I will buy of that nature. But both tools are not in the cards at this time. LOML said I could by a new tool for the project but not 2 of them, I already snuck in a band saw under the radar so I am pushing it with this purchase.
    I forgot to add that I have been scouring craiglist around here for month and nothing decent ever comes up and when it does they want a ton for a used tool. Lots of bench top drill presses that have seen better days, and a jet bench top mortiser that was used but the guy wouldn't go below $200.

So do I purchase the drill press or the mortiser?
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 12-16-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Adding content

Your post was a bit complicated but generally you are going to want a mortiser for mission work even if you decide to never do another piece and sell it will be worth it.

Floor model only if you plan to do a lot of mission / or mortise work.

I am building the Morris Chair and in the group build and I started with a DP mortiser. I cut many a mortise with it before it no longer fit my DP and I was forced to buy a bench top. The one I got from Griz was less than $200 new and delivered. It is better that the DP mortiser for sure but not as good as a floor model.

In WW you will often be faced with money dilemmas on what to buy and will always be advised to buy the best tool you can afford... but if you got the very best floor model and didn't use it ever again who cares...

I think you get it.

Final recommendation is for a bench top. Come back to the Creek for recommendations on model quality and such.
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 12-16-2008 at 10:40 PM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I use my drill press far more than the mortise. They are not really interchangeable, even though you can use the drill press to make a mortise. Would the budget allow for a bench top drill press and a bench top mortiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Williams View Post
    I use my drill press far more than the mortise. They are not really interchangeable, even though you can use the drill press to make a mortise. Would the budget allow for a bench top drill press and a bench top mortiser?
    Tom is right.... I misunderstood the post. You will need both tools and can squeak by with a DP and mortiser attachment as I did but a lot of mission work and you need the mortiser.

Thanks Tom.
    Dewey

Thanks Dewey,

Sorry for the complexity of my post. I guess what I was getting at you understood. I have read lots of posts by other people that have used a drill press with a motising kit and mortising CHISELS to do mortises. And most said that this method did a poor job of mortising. So using the drill press with a mortising kit wasn't in my plans. But what I was and still am wondering. Is, should I just suck it up and do all of the mortises with the drill press and the twist bits(drill mulitple holes and squaring the holes up with a chisel). Or should I buy the mortiser for what may possible be the largest mortising project I ever do even though my wife loves mission style furniture. And then wait to buy the drill press at a latter date.

Sorry guys I was writting a reply when Tom posted. I may be able to buy both the bench models. But I dont want to be kicking my self down the road because I have a bench drill press. And the price on the floor mortiser is only about $100 more than a compareable bench top model.

Dewey if I read your 1st post correctly you are happy with the grizzly mortiser? That is about $175 less than the jet.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 12-16-2008 at 11:05 PM.

I say go for the floor model mortiser, But that's just me. Currently I have no mortiser (just an attachment for my dp) and I'm in the market for a floor model myself. I like the stability and beefiness of floor model toys.
    As far as Drill Presses go, I started out with a bench top and sold it 2yrs later. It worked great for the small stuff, but I like the throat and speed changes on my floor model DP.
    If you plan on woodworking for the long haul, buy your tools accordingly. I can't stand buying things a second time.

I started with the Delta mortise kit for the DP. Then bought a benchtop mortiser. The difference was huge. After about 4 years, I got tired of the cumbersome adjustments on the fence.

I bought a floor model with a 1hp motor. The big mistake I made is that my machine wont accept a 5/8" shank mortising bit. It has 3 collars, 3/4", 7/8" and 1".

So .. I have 13 mortising bits, all 5/8" shank. 4 are brand new, never been used.

I rigged up a copper plumbing fitting to make the 5/8" work. Its goofy..

The floor model has the adjustable X-Y table.. (3 wheels on the front). The power is huge. The handle is thick and heavy..Its just like moving from a drill press to a benchtop.

Get the floor model and be done with it.

Ok Paul,
    One thing about SMC is that you get lots of responses (a good thing). It is still up to you to decide what Paul will have in his shop.

I have a higher end 12" bench top drill press which did not get the best reviews from mags: ( I still really like it better than my old Delta)

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000M...earsBrand=core

and the Griz BT Mortiser:

http://grizzly.com/products/1-2-HP-B...-Machine/G0645
    I got mine w/ free ship so it was about $200 new.

I don't know how much $$$ you have but if I had only $400 to spend and have these two machines for the project you are doing... yes knowing then what I do now, I would still own these two machines. You can always spend more and get better but these are not lemons. They are serious machines that don't hurt the wallet. Clearly enough power and accuracy to tackle your mission project.

If later on, you decide it is not enough, sell and upgrade. These tools hold plenty enough value to provide you with substantial cash on hand for upgrade if you decide to sell.... and they will sell.

Could you do me a favor? Laminate or use solid scrap to make a 1/2" x 2" mortise through 2 1/4 stock. Just do one. Use your hand drill to pre-drill the holes and don't worry about accuracy or anything. Then try to use your chisel set to get the mortise close to usable...

Just try one for real once... then come back here and review this thread.
    Dewey

Floor Model

I started with a drill press and the Delta mortising attachment. Very frustrating, not much clearance, stock moved if not clamped well enough, cumbersome to unclamp and move stock for longer mortises etc, etc, etc.

So I gave up using the mortising attachment. It's gathering dust somewhere. The next project i had requiring mortises was a knock-off of two 1880's doors with a total of twenty 3/4" thick through mortises in 5-1/2" stiles. I figured that chopping them by hand would be fun and educational! Except it's really hard to find a 3/4" mortising chisel. So I got a 3/4" Sorby 'firmer'chisel (not as good for mortises as a true mortising chisel) and chopped three by hand. The first one was a bit sloppy, the second better, and the third one was very fine and it only took about 2 hours for these three. 17 to go!

Going with your theory of limiting purchases to tools that last, I ordered a Powermatic 719T, put the project aside for a week waiting for delivery, then cut all 17 in about 30 minutes.
    If you're being run out of town...get out front and make it look like a parade!
    -Mark Twain

Also... I can barely see your avatar...3???? It looks mostly black
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres;993731 [B
    you are going to want a mortiser for mission work[/B] even if you decide to never do another piece and sell it will be worth it.
    + 1 Just finished 140 mortises for a mission bed ( S/C bench mount unit)
    Can`t even imagine doing them by hand. JMO

A mortiser is a specialty tool used to do one very specific task, the drill press is a much more versitile machine and IMO should be a standard tool in any shop. If you are buying the tool for the sake of this one project buy the mortiser (especially since there is such a good deal on a new JFM5). If you are buying the tool to outfit your shop for adaptability for many different projects then get the drill press.

Remeber, if you buy the mortiser that will also need to buy at least one chisel and bit sets, a sharpening cone, something to sharpen your chisels with. When it is all said and done you will probably have to budget another $100 minimum for the mortiser. If you need a mobile base add another $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    ...But I dont want to be kicking my self down the road because I have a bench drill press. ...
    Ryan, I'm already there. I bought one of the Delta bench top drill presses last year. While it's a nice machine, I wish I had waited and bought a good floor model. As soon as I can save up the cash I plan to buy a Steel City model because I've read good reviews and it has the longest quill travel unless by then a "better" one comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rose View Post
    + 1 Just finished 140 mortises for a mission bed ( S/C bench mount unit) Can`t even imagine doing them by hand. JMO
    I feel the same way as Randy. I bought a Steel City bench mortiser as well. It seemed to be the best one at the time. I would strongly suggest that you search Sawmill Creek for information on mortisers before you purchase one. There are a lot of experienced people here who have used their machines far more than I have.

Please also remember that there are other options for cutting mortises with a machine. Research them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Ok Paul, One thing about SMC is that you get lots of responses (a good thing). It is still up to you to decide what Paul will have in his shop....
    Dewey is correct. Ultimately you have to get the tools that you will be comfortable with depending on your skill level, experience and what you need the tool for. SMC members will help with the choices and minimize your tool purchase "mistakes." They also help me convince my wife that I "need" a tool.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I purchased the benchtop General International mortiser about 7 years ago.

It has made almost 1,000 mortises in quarter sawn white oak for A&C furniture.

The GI mortiser has dovetailed ways with brass wear plates, a good fence and vice and a nice hold down.

It also has reasonable chisels, which of course can beneifit from some honing.

A mortiser only does one job, however it saves an enormous amount of work and frustration.

My advice would to be to purchase the GI machine, you won't regret it.

Regards, Rod.