Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion to sand out Forstner hole

Suggestion to sand out Forstner hole

I'm making a paper towel holder that also has holes drilled in it for salt and pepper shakers. I used a 1 7/8" Forstner bit with a 5/16" depth into red oak.

Trying to figure out the best way to sand the bottoms and the sides while keeping a tight 90 degree edge. I'm also figuring on adding some oak wood filler into the pilot hole before sanding.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know that there is a good way to sand that. One idea would be to plane it smooth with a router and a flat bottom bit, inside a collar or with a guide bearing, and using a template.

Other than that, careful hand sanding would probably be the only way, and you would probably soften the shoulder you are trying to keep.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Piece of sticky back sand paper on a large dowel with a square end cut should do the sides referencing off the flat bottom, like a 1" dowel, or something round, even a piece of 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" PVC, or a PVC coupling from a plumbing store.

For the pilot hole, I would get a small top bearing template bit like used for mortising hinges to templates, chuck it in a plunge router and flush trim the bottom of the hole to just deeper than the pilot hole, using the 5/16" sides as teh bearing surface. In fact I would have made an MDF template with the Forschner bit and made the actual holes with the top bearing mortising bit to begin with if you are concerned about the hole the spur has left. For a salt and pepper holder which will cover those holes most of the time, I'd be inclined to leave them rather than fill them which might make them pop out more to the eye if the color match isn't perfect or a finish that darkens the wood will be used, as the filler will not darken to the same color. Or you could felt the bottom of the hole, or use cork, and side step the whole issue.

I don't think you'll be happy with the results if you use filler. It will likely look amateurish. You could use a tapered plug cutter on an offcut of the same board to make matched plugs. If you're planning to stain though it's likely that you'd get a ring.

The suggestion of covering it up with felt was a good one, or you could drill a through hole in another board and use it as a template with a top-bearing pattern bit to rout a flat bottom.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 12-17-2008 at 7:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Put some sticky sand paper on a dowl and put it in the drill press
    presto hole sanded smooth

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Whiteside 3000A, same bit, different name. Every wood butcher should have at least one. I have several.

So the Dado Clean-Out Router Bits are really for the sides?

I'll try the drill press and dowel method.

I was thinking of using a flocker with
    suede. I made a number of jewelry boxes for Christmas with this. But this is a kitchen item where it will be contact with water.

I'm going to give it 5 coats of spray on gloss lacquer, should really make the red oak pop out!

Phil

You could just drill the hole all the way through, clean up the hole, and glue in a dowel the same size for the bottom. Then you could clean up the end of the dowel before you put it in the hole. You could even use contrasting wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    You could just drill the hole all the way through, clean up the hole, and glue in a dowel the same size for the bottom. Then you could clean up the end of the dowel before you put it in the hole. You could even use contrasting wood.
    Or......... Laminate a another piece of wood to the bottom.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I think for a better feel, you probably don't want such sharp edges and over time, they will dull or possibly split.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Hi

Use two of the same size forstner bits, one with the pointy bit (starter tip) and the other with the pointy bit ground off.

Use the bit with the starter tip (the pointy bit that leaves the dimple) first, drill to commence the hole and then use the second bit, that way you'll finish with a level base and no dimple mark and minimise the amount of sanding!

Happy Christmas to all Creekers from Australia,
    Tony Ward

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Or......... Laminate a another piece of wood to the bottom.
    +1 for Jim's idea
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Drill the same size hole through a peice of mdf or wood for a template , and use the router bit Glenn sugested.

Or, you could use the router to "engrave" a "P" and an "S" in the bottoms of the holes that would not only take out the "dimple" but designate the purpose of the holes.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]