Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cyclone blower fan question - excuse ignorance please

Question cyclone blower fan question - excuse ignorance please

I just received today my impeller from Sheldon's engineering. I have the Leeson 5hp motor already. There is an arbor on the impeller, but I'm a bit confused as to how to tighten the arbor if the fan is mounted on the shaft of the motor.
    Here's a
    <a href =http://ednlina.com/~edm/sheldonimpeller/sheldonimpeller-Pages/Image3.html>picture</a>
    of the impeller. Are the allen screws reversed (i.e. should they be mounted with the heads on the inside (fan side) of the blade?)?

Thanks in advance.
    Ed

Not sure I completly understand your question, but if you are asking "how does it work"........ Just slide that impeller on the motor shaft and evenly tighten the three bolts. the taper forces the collar to tighten down on the motor shaft. If the problem you have is that you want to place the collar toward the motor and then you can't get your allen wrench in to tighten things, just replace the three allen head bolts with three hex head bolts and use an end wrench.
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.

good suggestion

The problem was what you identified second, that is, how do I tighten these allen bolts? I hadn't thought of replacing the bolts. That would probably work good. The shaft on the Leeson motor isn't very long, so I need all the room I can get (I think). I have yet to construct my blower housing, and corresponding metal plate.

Ed

Ed, My cyclone is the same set up as you have. Take the three allen screws out and put them in from the other side, they go in the other side of the impeller from where they are in your picture. You may have to turn the hub a bit to get the screws to line up in the other set of holes.

Bob

Ed,

Maybe you have this all figured out but I finally pulled some stuff out of the boxes and took a few pics.

That metal blower housing is made from 14-gauge cold-rolled steel while the mouting tabs and motor mount is made from 3/16" thick steel.

Steve King recently posted that his impeller came loose within his housing. It made me glad to have my impeller well-caged!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

pretty housing!

I elected to still try to build my own blower housing. It seems like nobodies fan came out through the mdf/plywood, so maybe I'm still safe. If it bounces around on the metal, I should be ok. I've got somebody building the top metal plate now. Then, on to the construction of the blower housing, then...

Ed

Yea, the parts on my bench above are the easy ones to assemble! I still need to drag the cyclone out of its shipping package!

maybe we need to schedule a "cyclone" building day

Hopefully that's all it will take. I still would like to photograph the process for those who may dare to follow. I would like to build my blower housing this week if all goes well.

Ed

Yeah, we can do that...build the cyclone together and take copious pics. I am not any where near ready to install the DC system but I want an idea of the cyclone size since I'm in the middle of a garage remodel.

Cyclone assembly

Chris

I have just started assemblying my cyclone (I have the cone and dust chute together). The advise about removing the hex head screws and putting them in from the other side of the impeller worked for me.

Sparky Paessler
    Sparky Paessler

When you guys moved the screws from how they are pictured in Ed's post to the other side, how far down were you able to push/pound the impeller on to the motor shaft. In Clarke's instructions, he said to lay down a couple pieces of 1/2" plywood.

Upon doing all this, there is no way to get the impeller down far enough to meet those plywood blocks...the split hub bottoms out on the motor shaft plate. Further, the set screw is now down too far to ever engage the key on the motor shaft.

WTH am I doing wrong?? I must be doing something wrong. It almost seems that the split hub should go in from the other side of the impeller...the vaned side. Please clear me up.

Chris where did you get the metal housing again? I built mine with the plans, but sure like the idea of a metal housing.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

http://www.cleanshopair.com/

This is Clarke Echols' new website for the DC system he and Bill have put together. I just emailed Clarke my problem with installing the Sheldon impeller on the motor and he included a PDF with new instructions for assembling the blower housing/motor/impeller. I was doing it correctly but just putting the split/tapered bushing on too far and putting it on with it connected to the impeller. You need to remove the bushing first from the impeller, install it and tighten the set screw at the very bottom of the square key, and then install the impeller over that and tighten the 3 screws (inserted from the top so they are easy to reach) to 6 ft-lbs. Whew!!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-21-2004 at 12:18 PM.

Hey Ed,

Guess I started without you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Chris, what is the Dia. of the fan wheel you have from sheldon's? Also if you would I would like the height of the blades. I'm comparing to my Powermatic fanwheel which is about 13 3/4. Wondering if there is enough diff. to change wheels.