Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More wood than I know what to do with, and a chainsaw question.

More wood than I know what to do with, and a chainsaw question.

I know it may not seem like much, but a tree company was taking down a sycamore tree near my house and they said I could have it. This about is just a taste from the tree (I have about 8 pieces), the rest is yet to come down. I think it's time for a chainsaw. I was eyeballing either the Stihl MS 250 or the Husqvarna 18" from Lowes. Any info would be of great help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have been told by a few sources that the chain saws sold in the big box stores have a different make up than the saws bought at authorized dealers. This is to lower the prices.

Another thing heard is around here all the lumber men tend to use the Stihl. I would check in your area to see what the pros are using.

jim

I don't buy any of my blanks. I got a few different guys that cut down trees and I call them up when I need wood. They sometimes give me logs 3 feet in length and 20 inches in diameters, for this I use a Stihl 24" I don't know a lot about chainsaws but I do know my Stihl has taken quite a beating and still works very well. I would recommend it anyday. But having said that if you dont plan on doing this regularly I would recommend just buying a small electric plug in chainsaw. I have a 14" chainsaw I use to round out the blank right before I put it on the lathe and it works quite well and that might be a better solution to your problem. I am quite sure they make up to 20" electric chain saws and theu are much cheaper than the gas.

just a though

alex

Jim is correct. The saws sold at the box stores may carry a brand name but are made specially for the store chain and are made cheap! In a chain saw you get what you pay for.

I have owned both Stihl and Husqvarna, and in my opinion both are equally excellent saws. The difference between them is their business approach. Stihl is a closed shop, you must buy from their dealers and there is little price differences. Husqvarna is sold over the internet and you can find deals. The difference in servicing your saw goes to Stihl. Their dealers provide excellent service and are available everywhere. Husqvarna service can be spotty.

Regardless which brand you chose, make sure you buy the right saw for you. Determine your needs, both current and what you feel you will need in a year or two. What is the largest diameter timber you intend to work with? Now buy a saw that has enough power to cut for your needs. Too many people buy a quality saw and stick on a longer bar than the saw can handle, so make sure you listen to the advice given by a qualified sales person.

Chainsaw

Try Norwalk Power Supply www.npeco.com They usually have good arrangements on chainsaws.
    Sometime give you two chains and so forth. The only downside to a Stihl is that you can not get repairs done unless you use a Sthil dealer. If you don't have one locally your in trouble if you need parts. That may have changed but check it out. Norwalk people are easy to work with and very knowledgable.

You can't go wrong with either but I would toss an echo up there too I bought one on the bay this year a cs400 18" for less the $200. I loved it best saw I ever used but then again I never used a stihl or high end husky.

Bob

pawn shop. then figure out if your needs are greater, but you cant go wrong with a 50 dollar chainsaw.

Stihl

I have 2 STIHL saws and have never been let down by them! The small one is a 17 year old 025, which is basicly the same saw you are looking at but without the improvments on oil and gas caps chain tightening and does the new one have the easy start? The other is the Farm boss or 029, which now is the MS 290. So that being said I burn wood for heat and use it in turning and sawing it into lumber with my WOODMIZER mill. So my saws see a lot of use. A friend of mine has a couple of the Poulan saws that you can get at the big chain stores pretty cheap. He saws a lot of fire wood also and they work just fine. As has been said already it is all about the service and parts.

So if you are going to use it for cutting blanks for wood turning whatever the Stihl should last a lifetime.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Andrews View Post
    Jim is correct. The saws sold at the box stores may carry a brand name but are made specially for the store chain and are made cheap! In a chain saw you get what you pay for.

I have owned both Stihl and Husqvarna, and in my opinion both are equally excellent saws. The difference between them is their business approach. Stihl is a closed shop, you must buy from their dealers and there is little price differences. Husqvarna is sold over the internet and you can find deals. The difference in servicing your saw goes to Stihl. Their dealers provide excellent service and are available everywhere. Husqvarna service can be spotty.

Regardless which brand you chose, make sure you buy the right saw for you. Determine your needs, both current and what you feel you will need in a year or two. What is the largest diameter timber you intend to work with? Now buy a saw that has enough power to cut for your needs. Too many people buy a quality saw and stick on a longer bar than the saw can handle, so make sure you listen to the advice given by a qualified sales person.
    These rumors have been going around for years, and deal with many products, not just chainsaws. Do you have any substantial evidence of this, or is this just your own speculation/rumor?

My local dealer sells Husky 455s which is the same model that Lowes sells. They told me that there are no difference between their 455 and Lowes. However that is Lowes top of the line saw and near the bottom of the dealers line. Lowes tends to carry the cheaper saws which are made with cheaper parts.

I think the huge spectrum of products a company makes add to the confusion. I am a stihl guy and they are only sold at dealers but the stihl equivelent of what Lowes sells in Husky might range from a MS180 @ $200 to their top end of a MS290 for about $380.

Now Stihls pro saws start @ about $500 for the smallest and go up to $1300+. The expectation that the saws would be made with the same parts and quality is not realistic.

This comparison is the same for Husky who makes an awesom saw as well. I just grew up with Stihls and have a great dealer nearby.

When it comes to Husky vs Stihl... buy a dealer not a brand. Both saws rock and a good dealer will make or break any brand.

With that said I think you would be very happy with a husky 455 or a Stihl MS290 if @ $400 is in your budget. Remember splitting logs is hell on a saw and a little bigger saw will help.

Sorry for the long winded response but I happen to like chainsaws...
    JP

I've got two Stihl Farm Boss's and have never been let down.

I have bought a saw from Lowes, Sears and one from Wal-Mart before I got smart and went to a dealer to buy a Stihl MS 310. I bought Stihl because I have a dealer right here in town. It has never failed to start and cuts 10 times better than the others I have had. Splitting logs is hard on a machine so you need one that will stand up.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 12-18-2008 at 11:01 AM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I had been leaning toward a Stihl, mainly after reading a lot of other threads on the Creek. It helps the Stihl dealer is right down the road from me. Soon I hope to be felling some of my own trees, nothing too huge, but often enough that I want quality. Thanks for all the responses.

Hey Matt,

I have a small Husky and I love it. I have a Stihl dealer near me and I ended up buy a big used saw from them. It is old but they went through it and it works like a champ. It makes cutting big logs a breeze. Now I only use the Husky for trimming.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Chain saws??

I've used two Husky saws over the last thirty years or so, both were at the bottom end of the PRO level but carried model number #64-65 with roller tips, (very important). I used them mostly for cutting firewood. and theu never let me down. Th pro who dut my acreage used a Husky. Lots of them were used in this heavily forested country as are many Stihlls. They are both excellant saws in the pro ranks. In any case whatever saw you buy, get an extra chain and have it sharpened to RIP. A rip chain will save much wear and tear on the engine. You will want an 18in roller bar for more savings on chain, bar, and engine. Then get up to date safety rules of operation from the dealer or a pro. A chainsaw is one of the most dangerous tools you will ever use. That being said, good luck on your choice.
    Bob