Thread: Decisions/Questions - BunkBed Project

Decisions/Questions - BunkBed Project

Working on deciding on how to accomplish some parts of this project.

1. Posts - It looks like each post has 8 bullnose trim pieces. Agree? I was thinking 3/8" or 1/4". Not sure. How would I attach these? I have a brad nailer. Would that split these?

2. Panels - should I use a raised panel door bit set? I was looking at some MCLS sets. Anything else I should look at or consider?

3. Finials - I have a small jet lathe and could try to turn them. It would be my 1st time to try to do repeats. Any places I should look as a source for them?

4. Router - If I use a raised panel bit set.... I have a PC without speed control. I assume I at least need a speed control? Should I get a dedicated larger router. I had a Milwaukee 5625-20 but sold it last year as I had not used it. I can get another if need be. I have a incra lift that this router fit right into.

That is enough for now. I am sure I will have more questions later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Moore; 12-18-2008 at 6:52 AM. Reason: add picture

On the moldings, glue will hold them on. You can clamp with blue painter's tape or a 23 gage pinner...a brad gun "may" split them, but more importantly, the fasteners will be quite visible unless this will be painted and you can use a filler.

As to the finials, not hard to turn and since they are not right next to each other, any minor differences will not be noticeable. If you must buy, Ozborne Wood Products has a selection.

For using a horizontal raised panel cutter in a router, you must have a variable speed unit that can be slowed down to about 10K RPMs for safety. Vertical panel bits can be used at higher speeds, but add the complexity of a tall fence and feather board arrangement to your router table situation. (Panel raisers must also be used in a table...not hand-held)

I'm not overly fond of MCLS cutters, but many folks use them quite happily. Most bits I buy these days come from Infinity or Eagle America.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-18-2008 at 3:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt,

I dont know how fond grizzly router bits are on the creek, but I bought a raised bit set from them over a year ago and have been very happy. It is a horizontal set that I use in my bosch 1617 router. As long as you make at least 2 passes the router has plenty of power. My only suggestion is don't by the set with the reversable rail and style bit, buy the set with a seperate rail and style bit. The problem I had was finding shimms to make the rail and style fit properly. Shims weren't avaiable from grizzly.

You might want to check into safety issues for bunkbeds as well. I understand that anything that sticks up above the rails can be a hazard if a child catches their clothing on it. I'm thinking of the finials.

Another question: I realize now that I probably need to do a cove router cut on both sides of the panels. Any issue in this?