Thread: Grizz 440

Grizz 440

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Grizzly 440 2hp cyclone unit with the 25% MS CB deal. I got it setup over the course of a couple of nights on a shopmade wooden stand but then took another little while to revamp the shop, build a sound absorbing closet around the thing and get the ductwork installed. Can't say I'm finished with the ductwork yet but I do have my Unisaw w/overhead guard and jointer connected and got to suck up some dust for the firt time. Very happy with the performance so far and very happy with how much the closet cut down the noise. Before the closet that sucker was LOUD . Now it's quiet enough to leave on for lengthy periods and not too noticable in the kitchen above the shop either. The Closet is 2*4 studs + fibreglass insulation, I built the door out of a 2*4 frame with a skinning of 1/4" ply on one side and pegboard rough side in on the inside. The top of the closet is just a 4*6 foot sheet of pegboard laid on top rough side in with a layer of the glass insulation added on top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking outfit, I don't have a central dust collection yet... I wonder if all cyclone collectors are loud enough to put them in a "closet"?
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

Looks like a nice installation, Chris!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Can't say but I suppose it depends partially on your tolerance for noise .

That closet is much larger than necessary, there is space enough on one end for a very large compressor which I don't have yet but maybe someday.

Looks great Chris..... I've been looking at the same system and it's good to know that I will need to go ahead and plan for a closet. Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone know if you can order this unit without the filter? I will be venting outside so I will not need the filter. Hate to spend money on stuff to just lay around.....

No idea but maybe, the filter is shipped in a box all by itself so they might be able to easily strip it off the pallet. No dissassembly required .

The filter is shipped in it's own box, but doubt if you can buy the system without it. You would have to call and ask because they don't break it down in the catalog. As I recall, they have a separate listing for a replacement filter, but not for the DC without filter.

Your install is looking great so far.

If I may offer some tips...

1) You have paint/ or other, cans in the angle iron
    2) You beautiful sander appears to be mounted on the floor. That is UNSAT.

Of course I'm just poking at you! Keep up the great work and keep us posted
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 12-20-2008 at 2:51 AM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Curious as to what the 25% MS CB deal is? Looks like a great set up.

Shoulda seen in a couple weeks ago before I built 50 feet of stud wall and hunge 24 sheets of drywall

Workshop is still a nit of a work in progress but it is getting there, love the new epoxy paint on the floor! It was bare concrete, check that - bare dusty concrete last week.

Unfortunately the Microsoft cashback deal is over for now ed, maybe after Christmas it'll come back. The deal was you searched for a product on microsofts live search site, then followed the links to e-bay and if you chose a buy it now price you'd get the percentage of the day back from microsoft 60 days later...

Mine would hurt your ears it was so danged loud!
    But with enough sound board and some creative routing of the discharged air via the air compressors closet, it got down to talking level in the shop now.
    Glad to hear you are planning your compressor by the Cyclone, Chris. The filtered air from the DC will help cool and supply the air compressor with clean air.