Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Gouge Gloat!!!

Talking Christmas Gouge Gloat!!!

I wasn’t aware of it before but found out this year I live next door to Santa Claus! Imagine my surprise when I receive a Doug Thompson ¾” V bowl gouge in the mail! Inside the package was a note that the gouge was a gift from my neighbor Bob!

WHAT???.........You Gotta be Kidding Me!!!.........WOW!!!

Thank you Bob!!!

One of the things with Thompson gouges is you have to turn or find a handle for them. As there would be a heck of a lot of stress on this gouge, I didn’t want to turn one for it. I have Randy Privett’s Monster handle on my Thompson 5/8” V and love it… so I emailed Randy about a ¾” handle cause in my mind that would be perfect. Randy informed me that while he had thought of making handles for ¾” gouges, he had not yet done so.

Oh…, OK, no problem, I’ll figure something out………

Next day I get an email from Randy, he had made me a handle and it was already in the mail!!! What???.....Wow!!! You can see Randy’s new line of MCH34 handles here: http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.html

Finally got to try out the new gouge today but first reground the profile on the gouge by sweeping back the wings, filled the handle with #6 lead shot for ballast and grabbed a big ole’ chunk of maple. The new gouge/handle works beautifully and my arms should look like Arnold after using the new gouge for a few months! The nice thing about the new handle is it is long enough to plant it along side my hip and use body movement to regulate the cut. Does that ever make roughing out easier!

New Gouge Comparison.JPG Maple Blank.JPG Roughing Out V1.JPG Roughing Out V2.JPG Roughed Out Blank.JPG This will be a HF tomorrow!

Thanks to Bob Hainstock for the new ¾” V bowl gouge, to Doug Thompson for making such a great tool and to Randy Privett for his newly designed handle! I truly love it! Thanks guys!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve,
    The gouge's first bowl looks like a winner. Merry Christmas.
    Jack

now mount up a narly out of balance crotch piece that sat around and hard as all get out and you will really appericate the tool

Great gloat Steve! And you are a most generous person Bob!! With you two living next door and Pete the wood provider down the street it must be one heck of a good neighbor hood. Merry Christmas to both of you...Bill...

Glad to see the success!

It is great that you are having success with the now completed new tool, (TOY). and it is great that everybody came together to make it happen. From the look of that block of wood, it most certainly works good and I'm sure that there will be lots more of those big "jugs" in your future.
    THANKS for all you've done for us, and a very merry Christmas.
    Bob

Makes me want to have neighbors!
    Congratulations, Merry Christmas...
    I'm gonna need me one (or TWO???) of them handles!!!
    Change One Thing

Congrats Steve on a great setup. That thing with the new handle should really hog some wood.

Merry Christmas Steve and enjoy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Santa Bob strikes again!

You will love it!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Steve:
    There is a Santa Claus...Congratulations! Merry Christmas to you and your very good neighbor. I have to go now....must talk to my neighbors!

All the best.

Don

Ok Steve now Im jealous and dont like you anymore!! LOL Way to go, you have great neighbors to say the least! Now get in there and clean those shavings!! I would expect that kind of thing from me but Ive never seen your shop look like that!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Steve,
    It looks to me your already feeling comfortable with the new Gouge. It sure is nice to have great friends so close by. I also think Randy's tools are simply the best. I just love my new Monster Hollowing Rig. Congrats on the new toy and let us see the finished HF when its done.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Just coal for me :(

Steve, My neighbors are not that nice! One is mean loudmouthed drug addict and the other is a hoarder of all the junk in the world! I had to put up a 6' fence to keep her garbage out of my yard.

So any way congrats on the new tool and handle! My lump of coal should arrive soon!

Merry Christmas!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Steve is there any houses for in your area? I want to move south where it it warmer when I retire BUT up north is looking better all the time if the neighors are that good to each other I showed your pictures to my wife and said see I could my lathe in the spair bedroom and turn there. It did not go over to well guess I'll stay in the garage to stay married.

with any luck santa will find my house with the same present for me!! great gloat!
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Blog Entries
    Okay, how come I don't get a neighbor like Bob? I get a policeman who thinks he can break the law at his own convenience.

Way to go Bob!!!!!! Make something really pretty for him, Steve.
    Have a Nice Day!