Thread: What kind of wood is this?

What kind of wood is this?

Good Morning,

I bought a couple hundred board feet of mixed hardwood, mostly cherry, walnut, and oak.

The two pictures attached are of two boards I'm not familiar with. I thought the striped one might be Zebrawood?

And the darker reddish one, maybe Rosewood, it is really heavy, maybe twice as heavy as oak?

Thanks,
    Curt
    Attached Images Attached Images

The red one could be Padauk.

The other could be Zerbra wood .

That'd be tree wood.
    Because it's too big for brush wood.

Hmm, that's a good question. If you ship* it to me, I can take a closer inspection and let you know.

*I'm not responsible if the shipment gets "lost" in transit and you don't get it back.

Stuff on left looks like bloodwood, I have some that looks just like it, and it's heavy like you describe. The other could be zebra wood, if it is, it will have a foul smell when you cut it.

I think Paul got both of them and yes, Zebrawood smells like a wet dog when you cut it.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I was given a bunch of crate and pallet stock from Peru and several of the varieties look just like your goodies. The left pic could be Santos Mahogany if not bloodwood. The bloodwood I got was a brighter/darker red with wilder grain. When machining the mahogany it has a sweet/nutty and pleasant aroma. The bloodwood doesn't. I'm not certain but I don't think the other is Zebra wood. It(mine) is softer than z-wood I've seen but machines well. It didn't have the wet dog aroma either.I milled more than 300 pieces of stock and there was a wide range of color, grain, etc, and most, besides being free, is nice stuff to work with. Here are some pics of a Morris recliner I made with the Mohogany/bloodwood:

OOps, I have forgotten how to upload pics. If interested look up my post from a few months ago :morris recliner.(Or give me some time to figure out the pic thing) It may be worth a look, Curt, as you can see how nice the finished wood looks. It has 7 rubbed coats of Teak oil.
    Happy Holidays all. John.

Hard to say from the pics but the left pick looks like Jatoba to me. The other is zebra wood, nearly sure of that one.

The one on the left could be any of the woods others have suggested.

The one on the right doesn't have enough contrast to be zebrawood. Looks like QS shedua to me. Or maybe my monitor needs to be calibrated.

The one on the right looks like Zebra wood to me. Contrast varies quite a bit on that species.

Cheers,
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

I just purchased some Jatoba and the red one on the left resembles it. Only question is with the cathedral grains. All the Jatoba I had to chose from didn't have any cathedral and if its very heavy, that adds to my case b/c it is a pretty heavy wood.