Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lathe Purchase - Jet 1642EVS or ???

New Lathe Purchase - Jet 1642EVS or ???

I am looking at the Jet 1642 EVS 2HP 220V Single Phase lathe and wondered if there are other lathes in that same range that I should consider?

I would like to be able to turn larger bowls and some segmented items as well.

I have been turning on a Jet Mini for 5 years - small platters, bowls, boxes, way too many pens!, etc.

I just want to be sure that I get the most bang for the buck - any help would be appreciated!

Brad K.
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

That Jet is a huge bang for the buck. You are likely to never need anything more. It has a sliding headstock and can turn items larger than the advertised 16" swing.
    It is well cast and machined with plenty of mass.
    www.toolnut.com has great prices on them.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I have this lathe and I love it. I havent done anything real huge on it yet, about 12" is as far as Ive gone but I know others here who have this same lathe have turned bigger with no problems. My only gripe is that its a little too tall for me but Im a short guy anyway!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Brad - for around the same money - you have the Jet 1642, the Nova DVR XP and possibly a used Powermatic 3520A model depending on your area.

I have the Jet and seriously like it. There have been a number of times where I wish I could turn larger but that is only when roughing out.

Best of luck with your decision! Hope you are able to pick up a new 'large' lathe real soon - you will be amazed at the difference!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Brad,
    One seldom if ever sees a complaint from a Jet 1642 owner. Wish I had a second one. Had motor vibration problem with my original lathe. Amazon sent me a complete new lathe and picked up the original at no charge.

Jim,
    Have you removed the screw-in feet? I did. Much better.
    Last edited by Richard Madison; 12-21-2008 at 8:21 PM.
    Richard in Wimberley

I just went through the new lathe purchase excersize. With 1642's costing around $2200 and the PM 3520b going for $2800, for only about $600 more I opted for the PM. See this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99340.
    Good luck.

I've had the 1642-2hp for about 4 years. Like the others say, it is a great deal of lathe. It is unlikely that I will ever NEED a bigger lathe. Adding a weight box make this unit as stable as any available.

Many of my friends have Oneway 2436 and Powermatic 3520B. Yes, they're both bigger, heavier and higher swing. The Oneway at something north of $5500 is out of my budget range. The PM 3520B at about $600 difference is a tougher choice.

If $2800 is in your budget (you'll spend a lot more than $600 on accessories), consider the Powermatic. Either the Jet 1642 or PM3520 will perform well.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Lathe Choices

First, thanks to all for their input - it's appreciated.

My budget was really about $1,500 and then I saw the 1.5HP Jet 1642 for about $1,800 and decided that for only about $400 more I could get the 2HP model.

Then I see the Powermatic and start to rationalize that I should get the biggest / best that I can afford rather than settle for the Jet, so I start thinking about $2,800...

Then I decide I had best check out the Oneway and now I'm back down to earth and the ~ $2,200. I only wanted to spend the $1,800 but can make a case for $2,200. But another $1,000 is pushing it a bit.

My fear is that I know how I am and I will want the PM / Oneway within a year of getting the Jet.

Can you buy used Powermatics very often? And how about Oneway's? What sort of price should I try to pay for either of those?

At this point I'm waiting until February to order so I have some time to torture myself. A new turning club just started here in Lexington, KY so I'll try to get some time on a Jet at Woodcraft and the PM. They have both and any club member is eligible to use them during business hours.

Any add'l info will be appreciated. Thanks again for all of your good advice.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Brad,

I don't know about Kentucky, but down here larger swing lathes are very rare if ever come on the market. I have been looking for over 2 years for a lathe and finally broke down and bought my Nova DVR in October when Woodcraft had their sale.

I know what you mean when you talk about your price justification. For me I went from considering a PM to a longbed Vicmarc VL300 to a jet 1642 and the Nova DVR. 3 of these under 3K and one over. As much as I would like a big Vic I was at about $5000 with it but with 51 inches between centers it is also a monster of a lathe. For me space was also an issue. I have a good size shop but to much stuff and the more compact the footprint the better for me. So for me the DVR had the most compact footprint but still had the power of the PM when wired 220v and similar spindle capacity with a swing away bed as the Jet. Also with the outrigger large shallow bowls and platters are an option. But being a benchtop lathe it is not as heavy, however it does offer options for a custom stand. I thought I could make it as stable as a PM or the Jet so I built this stand shown in this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001 . The bad part is it took me a little over a month's time to build, but I achieved my goal. For me it was the most versital and realistic option both by cost and space. In reality it should do 99% of what I ever want to do or get materials work with. and if I ever want a bigger lathe I still could get me a shortbed Vicmarc or even build my own monster bowl lathe. However at this point I do not regret my decision.

I have turned a little on both the PM and the Jet. They are both very capable and I think either would serve you very well.

Good Luck

Alan

Alan I think hit the nail on the head. I looked for over 1 1/2 yrs for a used lathe. I found nothing in the line of Oneway, PM, Vic, Stubby, etc. I turned on both the Jet and the Nova DVR. Loved them both but like Alan settled for the Nova DVR because of size. I have the bed extension with the swing away option. It has did everything I have asked of it. The biggest I have turned is 15 1/2" and it handled it with ease. Outboard you can turn up to 29". It can be wired for 220V or 110V. That is another reason I went with it because of the 110 V. If I had the room I probably would have opted for the Jet 1642 but all being said I am extremely satisfied with my DVR and would buy it again.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Brad, I'll share with you some advice Dennis Peacock (see interview threads) gave me when I first started turning. Get the biggest and best lathe you can when you upgrade otherwise you will just be going through this whole process again in a year or so. Bite the bullet now, lathes will not get any cheaper down the road.

Rusty

I know that for everyone times are tight, and we are all pinching pennies, but here's a way to look at things.

If you buy one of the larger lathes, they tend to hold up their value really well if you decide to sell it for whatever reason. We all know this is true, otherwise, there would be a ton of Oneways available on Craigslist for cheap.

If you are considering a larger lathe, you already know you are going to be pretty committed to this hobby. Say that even with this committment, you go get a Powermatic 3520B for about $3000, and you wind up only spending the next three years at woodturning before you decide to chuck it all (no pun intended). So you sell your 3520B for $2000.

Over that three year time, that $1000 difference works out to spending less than a dollar a day for a hobby.

Likewise, if you're torn between getting a $2000 and a $3000 lathe, and you think that the $3000 lathe will give you more enjoyment in the long run, the $1000 difference in price gets smaller the longer you plan to use it.

I totally agree with you Wilbur. I normally buy cheap and make do with things. Not so when I bought my last lathe. Upgrading from a Jet 1014 to a PM3520b was one of the best buys I ever made. A Jet 1642 would probably have met my needs but I love my PM!
    God is great and life is good!

Powermatic vs Jet vs Oneway

I agree with all of your advice on buying the most that I can talk myself into.

My Woodcraft store here in Lexington has a Powermatic as the teachers lathe and Jet 1442's as student lathes. I don't have access to a 1642 but would imagine that it is much more substantial than the 14" models.

I plan to take some wood up there and give the PM a spin on Friday.

I'm sure that I will then either order a PM for what I hope is a very good price or I'll order the Jet 2HP 1642.

I usually try to be loyal to my local suppliers, but some of the prices online with free shipping (and no tax) look pretty good. Any qualms about ordering from Tool Nut or someone like that? Are service issues handled by Woodcraft or do they just go back to the manufacturer like a mail order house would?

I feel like I'm a little closer to a decision at this point and really appreciate all of your good advice.

Oh, and 1 last question. That small Oneway 1224...how does it measure up? Does the quality of a big Oneway follow all the way down to the 1224? And is it worth losing the extra 4" of swing for about the same money as a 1642? Doesn't seem so, but I hear so many excellent comments about Oneway.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

get the jet, its the same as pm basically except swing and some heft. build a ballast box for the jet and your good.

plus with the extra grand plus, you can buy a whole lot of tools. plus as previoulsy mentioned, the lathe wont lose much cash value if you were to sell in a couple years. so if you have to upgrade for some reason, do it in a couple years who knows, by then there may be a 3520C.