Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Lathe Purchase - Jet 1642EVS or ???

Talking And the winner is....Powermatic 3520B !!!

Thanks to all for so much good advice on the choices out there. I always buy the best that I can afford and have forced myself to do the same here. That 20" swing appears irrestible to me!

I plan to check out my local Woodcraft guy and see what he can offer. I see in their January catalog that they are offering the 18" bed extension for no add'l cost if you pay the $3,300 or so plus tax.

As suggested I checked out the Toolnut and they promptly came back with a price on the Jet 1642 - I've asked for a price on the PM as well. I probably will not pay tax but may have some shipping expense.

If the price is close, I think I will go with the Woodcraft guy since he gives our new club a meeting space and I really want to support the local guy when possible.

I don't know if they offer any warranty service or support or if that comes directly from PM, so that may be a consideration as well.

Any advice on going local vs. internet / mail order? Pros and cons?

Thanks again and I'm sure I will now start bugging all of you for advice on finding wood and turning larger items.
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Pm3520

Brad,
    You need to go see Joe Osolnik at Osolnik Machinery in Louisville. He has some of the best Powermatic pricing around, and I'm sure he would let you turn something on his. You can find him online at: www.osolnikmachinery.com. He can also guide you on your 1642 vs 3520 question.

Watch out. If you turn on that Mustard Machine, you will be ruined, spoiled forever. They are really sweet machines. Solid, quiet. Like certain muscle cars with good mufflers, you can sense the huge power lurking just under the skin, ready to do your bidding. The vortex gets another one...
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO