Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casters for a mobile base

Casters for a mobile base

I want to make a nice mobile base. I am going to buy the casters at Woodcraft.

My question is, do I need four double locking casters or two double locking casters and two non locking casters? Would four locking casters be better?

I am talking about an assembly table, router table, or some use like that. No heavy 400 lb. situation.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Smile You may want to . . .

You may want to check out Great Lakes Caster . . .better selection, excellent prices. . .good service . . . .

Check this thread . . .

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99025

Steve
    Last edited by Steven DeMars; 12-21-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Me too

I'm about to build one for my restoration project, a big ole Powermatic 81 bandsaw. After looking at some of the commericial units, and at some of the homemade wood bases here at SMC, I've decided to make my own out of some scrap white oak.

I'm going to use 2 nonlocking, nonswiveling casters, and 2 swiveling total lock casters, just as many commerical models do. It should be rock solid when the 2 locking casters are locked.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

I just picked up 4 of these 3'' Double Lock Casters.
    It was under $30 for the four of them. Just got them Friday and haven't put them on anything yet - but the quality looks quite good. The locking mechanism is very comparable to the Woodcraft ones, with multiple teeth locking in on the mechanism.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actually, I think I will be getting the casters as a gift, so I think they will be Woodcraft. But am wasting them by using four double locking ones on one mobile unit?

Thanks

SB

Steve,

I put four double locking casters on a router table I just built. The problem I am having with using all four double lockers is that it is nearly impossible to get all four of the locking mechanisms to be swung out from under the cabinet at the same time. I often end up just leaving two unlocked. If I get a chance I may end up taking two of the lockers off and replacing them with two non swivel non locking casters. The woodcraft ones are nice (they have them on sale a couple of times a years for around 30% off. ) but they are a bit pricey at full retail. Has anyone taken a serious look at Harbor Freight's casters?

How are you going to attach them to your tool/table? One thing to consider is how Norm attached casters to his assembly table, by hinging them to the short end on a board that uses jacks to support when you want to move it, and then pull a string to disengage the jacks. For that kind of arrangement, non locking casters are completely appropriate, as you have no need to lock them.

Most mobile bases are built like shopping sarts, with two swiveling casters on one end, and two non-swiveling casters on the other. The non-swiveling casters cannot have locks, at least I have never seen one have a lock.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Steve,

I put four double locking casters on a router table I just built. The problem I am having with using all four double lockers is that it is nearly impossible to get all four of the locking mechanisms to be swung out from under the cabinet at the same time. I often end up just leaving two unlocked. If I get a chance I may end up taking two of the lockers off and replacing them with two non swivel non locking casters. The woodcraft ones are nice (they have them on sale a couple of times a years for around 30% off. ) but they are a bit pricey at full retail. Has anyone taken a serious look at Harbor Freight's casters?
    Ditto to everything said above - the two locking casters on the back of my TS mobile base never get locked out of sheer laziness...
    I have tried a few of HF's casters, and they're OK. Not in the same league as a decent set of double locking casters tho - don't expect whatever you put them on to be rock solid with no wiggling while locked. I'd say you get what you pay for, but I actually paid LESS for the SES casters I mentioned above than I did for the HF ones with wheel locks, and the SES are about 700 times better.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    I ran four swivel-locks on my fliptop stand as I still do on my rolling work/assembly table. In a crowded shop it helps to not have to drive something around like a car. It is easier to just push it whatever way you want to go.

Having said that, I changed my fliptop to 2 swivel-lock and 2 non-swivel. A shop re-org changed the "stored" location of the fliptop to be tucked tightly between my rollup door and the end of my jointer. Despite more involved maneuvering, I needed the stand to stay "on track" once I had it aimed so as not to keep hitting the door .

So, I guess . . . . it depends.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I go with two locking and two non-locking but all swivel.

I like the casters from Hartville Tools. http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11883. They are pretty beefy, lock the wheel and swivel and reasonably priced.

The Woodcraft are very nice but pricey. The HF are a definite step down in quality, but are OK for lighter duty.

Smile Check around....

We have a local industrial caster supply house here in Tupelo, Mississippi. If we've got one in our relatively small town, I betcha that there is one close to you. That way you can play "touchy-feely".
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Smile hey . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    We have a local industrial caster supply house here in Tupelo, Mississippi. If we've got one in our relatively small town, I betcha that there is one close to you. That way you can play "touchy-feely".
    Bill

Hey you guys had Elvis . . . so not every town will have that :-)

Using FOUR swivel casters for any base is just plain DUMB!! Steering FOUR swiveling casters is no fun (and embarassing to a grown man!) This should be avoided at all costs!! Is a FACT that all casters should LOCK when you want a mobile base to STAY put. If you have a four footed base, TWO casters should be FIXED/NON swivel (but locking is still a must)

I have made my own bases like the HTC (and other) tricycle bases, with 2 fixed/locking at one end, and the one swiveling caster at the other. These steer just fine and level easier! Cheaper too!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Non-swivelling casters can easily be made to lock by welding a nut to the frame which will allow a bolt w/finger knob to tighten against the caster wheel. Not as cool OR expensive as the toe pedal types, but it would not Hurt any woodworker I know to do a few Bends at the waist from time to time! HoHoHo!!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Smile Well . . .

[quote=Chip Lindley;998721]Using FOUR swivel casters for any base is just plain DUMB!! Steering FOUR swiveling casters is no fun (and embarassing to a grown man!) This should be avoided at all costs!! Is a FACT that all casters should LOCK when you want a mobile base to STAY put. If you have a four footed base, TWO casters should be FIXED/NON swivel (but locking is still a must)

Well I would not call it "dumb" . . .it has it's advantages . . .

If your locking system is designed correctly & not dependent of "freezing" a wheel from turning or a swivel from swiveling what difference does it make?

I have four SNAP-ON tool cabinet/chest combos and the ALL have four swivel type casters.

The mobile stands I have built for myself have four ZAMBUS style casters and steers very easy . . . I'm not going down the freeway, just a few feet across the shop.

Steve