Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Old Iron - Wanna Buy Me a Christmas Present?

Beautiful Old Iron - Wanna Buy Me a Christmas Present?

Just saw this on the IRS auction website. Sure looks like a beautiful specimen and I just thought I would share the pics and link in case anyone wants to buy this for me for Christmas. Or maybe I can buy it for myself if someone else can pick up the shipping.

irsauctions dot com

Eric

porter1.jpg

porter2.jpg

My apologies to all about including the direct link to the auction site. If you want to go look at it go to the irsauctions.com website and look for the "Woodworking & Metalworking Auction In Somerset" auction in Somerset, NJ
    Last edited by Eric Porter; 12-22-2008 at 2:37 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to acution site....prohibited by TOS

$1500 is the next avail bid for the 20" jointer. What a rip off. It isn't worth half that.

All kidding aside I have bookmarked this website. Thanks for the link as it appears to be a find.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

That makes me drool!

Nah, you guys don't want that. The blade guard sucks, and the dust collection is rather lacking. Look closely enough, and you can see a huge 1/4" scratch on the table too. To save you all the temptation, I think I ought to give it a new home!

Only one I'd like more is the Oliver 166. Oh, and the Felder in the garage...

These old aircraft carriers are not only wonderful machines, they are also works of art and so pleasant to look at!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a similar Porter, mine is flat belt drive though, has babbit bearings. I use it for a cutoff bench for two different chop saws at this point, adjustable for height . The bearings got bad, and my intention was to change the head and convert to V belt drive, but I never got to it. Not sure if they are all this way but mine can be used as a molder. Not only does the table ht. change but the table tops slide in and out to change distances to the cutter. I tried it when I had it set up in my last shop and it worked fairly well as a molder. When you are jointing you can slide the tables in very close to the cutter, closer than a parallel system. It is all my 1955 Towmotor forklift wants to lift. The knives weigh ten pounds.

I want a SCMI or a Martin, old iron is cool, but the modern tools kick their butts. I think by the time you factor in shipping this jointer is too expensive at $1500.

That's beautiful. I'd love to have a big enough shop to hold that jointer, although if I was able to acquire one like that, I'd sure find the room!

And how much would a Shellix head cost for one of those?!?! Surely no self respecting woodworker would be satisfied with just *knives* on a huge jointer like that? Ho Ho Ho !!! Merry Christmas!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

I want a SCMI or a Martin, old iron is cool, but the modern tools kick their butts.
    Perhaps, but the modern machines haven't yet demonstrated decades and decades of reliable performance. So, we'll see.

Fence

Is that the correct fence for the jointer? It seems undersized, but that may just be a matter of scale on the RV sized base!

I think the US Navy has a missing aircraft carrier?!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

That looks vaguely familiar.

Oh wait, never mind. I was thinking of an aircraft carrier

I'd love to have it though.

Tom

Edited for an aw crud, Chris beat me to it
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    And how much would a Shellix head cost for one of those?!?! Surely no self respecting woodworker would be satisfied with just *knives* on a huge jointer like that? Ho Ho Ho !!! Merry Christmas!

Chip, thanks for the offer. Did everyone hear that? It sounded as if Chip offered to buy me a 20" Shelix head for this jointer. I made sure I included a quote of his original post in case he trys to back out.

So is it too late for Sawmillcreek Secret Santas? I know what I going to request.

Keith/Aaron,
    I'll make you a deal if I make the one millionth post can this jointer be my prize?

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Porter; 12-22-2008 at 2:32 PM.

Wow!!What a beauty.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Ok, the auction just closed for $2,250 + 10% buyer's premium $225 = $2,475.

If your a creeker and won this auction, I expect a serious gloat post in the near future w/ pics.

Eric