Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 years of pleasure

30 years of pleasure

This is my first post in any forum, I have always liked reading the good questions & answers .
    I am 71 years old and have had "30 years of pleasure" woodworking. I am not "Norm or David Marks" , I have no way of posting pictures so I can not show you the things I have built , but I enjoy the pictures others post.
    My question today is: does anyone make a dado set with a chipper that will measure 23/32 without useing shims ?

Thank you
    Bob

Bob,

First let me say welcome to the Creek, lots of nice people here. To answer your question, yes, Frued makes a dado set called the SD608 that fits your description, but there are compatibility issues based on arbor length. I will include a link to Peachtree that has a link that does a good job at explaining how to check your saw. http://www.ptreeusa.com/freud_dado_sets.htm If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Heather

PS The first link was actually to the product, this link will take you straight to the table. http://www.ptreeusa.com/freud_dial_a...patibility.htm
    Last edited by Heather Thompson; 12-22-2008 at 9:58 AM.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

3. Welcome to the Creek!!

You will be amazed at the collective knowledge represented here. Lots of project pics and a willingness to help, sure to inspire. Darren

Bob,

Welcome, there is a lot of knowledge and friendly people here.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Creek Bob

Hi Bob,
    I am sorry I cannot answer your dado question...

But I can welcome you to Sawmill Creek!
    Glad you decided to join us.
    Your many years of shop experience may prove helpful to others.
    enjoy,
    Walt

ps what are you building?
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Welcome

I'm sorry, I'm not the one to answer this question, but I did want to welcome you and to welcome any future bits of wisdom you might share from your 30 years!

I think it's a terrific forum and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Cheers

Eric

Hey Bob,

Welcome to the Creek.

You may want to take a look here.

http://www.forrestblades.com/Dadocombinations.htm

The chart seems to indicate that their set is capable.

Merry Christmas, looking forward to anything you may contribute in the future.

Derek

Welcome to the Creek, Bob. Wade right in, the water's fine, and the bullfrogs and tadpoles don't nibble at your toes too badly.

I can't respond to your query about the dado set, but you might check out the Freud SD208 stack set. We have that one, and it's great!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Hello Bob, welcome to SMC

I have a Jesada set that claims to cut a 23/32 dado but they aren’t in business any longer so not much help there…
    The shim less Freud adjustable dado will do it, (Freud Dial-A-Width Stacked Dado Set). It gets good reviews but is pricey at $270.
    23/32 for standard ¾” ply shouldn’t be too hard to find.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bob, welcome to the 'Creek!!

The adjustable Freud SD608 might give you what you need and it's a great dado setup. But as Heather points out, you'll want to confirm if you have enough arbor length for it to work out for you. Saw dependant.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Alternate suggestion:

I like a dado stack as much as the next guy, but might you consider using a router and a plywood straight bit, which is properly sized and quicker to change.

Question: why don'tcha like shims here? I have not NEARLY your experience, but I do love them shims because my "23/32" ply is hasn't been exact.

First of all welcome to the creek!

To answer your question: I have the freud 208 stacking dado set and it cuts a perfect 23/64 slot. Not only does it cut a nice dado but my cuts in plywood are virtually splinter free. I bought mine a few years back for just around $100 and I am always impressed by it every time I pull it out. In fact, I was actually using it today and I took a measurment and checked the model number before posting for you.

Howdy Bob and Welcome to the Creek..!!!!!

You post a good question and it surely deserves to be answered, but in my experiences, I've always had to use shims to get exactly what I've wanted in my dado sizes. Call me picky, but I like a nice fit on my dado's.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I think any high-quality dado set will have a 3/32" chipper in its arsenal of chippers.

The 8" CMT Precision dado set certainly does.

BTW, Welcome to the Creek!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Welcome, Bob. As a newcomer to these pages myself I can attest to the useful information and the thoughtfulness of the answers given by knowledgeable members and contributors.
    In answer to your question there is a Delta dado kit #35-7670 that will do 23/32" without shims. I bought one "on sale" from Amazon about a year or so ago for around $100. It's probably not as high a quality as some of the more expensive sets >$200 but it's worked very well for me. The outer blades are 24T and the chippers are all 4T, stainless shims and a great storage case. I used a 23/32" stack for a recent project. The slot was dead-on width and flat bottomed with no chipping - but as others have mentioned, plywood thickness varies somewhat.
    "You're never a complete failure - you can always be used as a bad example."