Thread: using cedar for moulding

using cedar for moulding

I have a bunch of 1x6 cedar that I would like to use for base moulding, so far when running thru the cutter {a small bead and groove} I have not been able to get a smooth cut. the cutters are sharp and have tried various feed rates. Any suggestions on this wood or is it real difficult to mould

Cedar is a real pain to profile. Seems the internal intergrain adhesion is so weak that even with a new/sharp cutter it tends to split and/or fuzz up if the grain isn't aligned almost perfectly with the cut line. I typically only use it for outdoor stuff that I'm not overly concerned with being perfectly smooth and free of defects.

Don't have any suggestions for how to improve the situation 'cause I've not found one, yet.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

We climb cut the little we do with cedar at work, usually with a shaper. I have climbed small profiles with it on exterior projects around the home. Climb cut at your own risk, but it may help with cedar, and doug fir too.

Cedar is soft. VERY soft. If you look at it funny, it'll ding on ya! It strikes me as a poor choice of wood for any application where it might get banged into. It excels for outdoor stuff due to longevity but outdoor quickly gathers lottsa "character" (i.e. dings, scratches, etc.)

You must take very small, light cuts and sneak up on the profile you want if that is possible. Even then, you might have lottsa handsanding in your future unless you are adept with a gooseneck scraper that is freshly sharpened.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Agree with others using cedar in a significant amout (same with Doug fir) as it is prone to splinter and tear out profiling. I would personally look for another use for it and go with something a bit easier to work with for your base-boards.

BTW... a hope chest for my favorite niece is on the near horizon and I could use that cedar to line with. Just a thought for it's use..

Sarge..

I agree on the difficulty machining cedar, and it is really, really soft.

You didn't mention what finish you are going to use. I have found cedar difficult to hold a finish, but others may have a secret. Perhaps shellac to seal the natural oils.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I agree on the difficulty machining cedar, and it is really, really soft.

You didn't mention what finish you are going to use. I have found cedar difficult to hold a finish, but others may have a secret. Perhaps shellac to seal the natural oils.
    Shellac works well from my experience John but... if you are using aromatic cedar to line a chest as I mentioned for my young niece... I will leave it un-finished. Two coats of shellac will not only seal it but seal off the aromatic smell which is desirable for moth protection and just a pleasant aroma IMO.

On moulding if he decides to go there.. it would be an excellent choice but give the cedar a slight amber hue. Sounds like one of those "just depends" deals.

Sarge..

I agree Sarge on the cedar lined closets and leaving it unfinished. I believe that you can actually purchase cedar oil to rejuvenate the aroma.

We had all cedar lined closets in the home I grew up in - cut off the farm. It will turn white woolens yellow in a heartbeat, though!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I agree Sarge on the cedar lined closets and leaving it unfinished. I believe that you can actually purchase cedar oil to rejuvenate the aroma.

We had all cedar lined closets in the home I grew up in - cut off the farm. It will turn white woolens yellow in a heartbeat, though!
    Thanks for the tip on turning white woolens yellow as I was not aware of that. I lined my closets in Florida back in the early 70's when I worked for Anneheiser Busch in Tampa after VN. After I moved back home to the Atlanta area I don't have them. But.. I may install some as I love the smell and it will be passed to my niece when I give her the surprise hope chest.

Keep in mind that in Florida and even Georgia... most don't have an abundance of woolens.. especially Florida. But.. a lot of worsted wool is sold here in Georgia (I have several suits but not likely white ever) but you never know with a woman. I wonder if it would have the same effect with worsted whatever that truly means as I am not a clothes junkie in any sense of the word.

But... the info is very useful to pass on and maybe someone here reading this might benefit before the mistake is made.

Regards...

Sarge..

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES

Jack