Thread: 2040 Planer Table Adjustment

2040 Planer Table Adjustment

Is there a way to adjust the table? I have a 25 year old Makita 2040 Planer that I just got back into working order after 10 years in my garage. The rollers went bad and I just kind of left it set there. The table was little stiff at first; but with some lube and a little elbow grease I got it working pretty good. Now it seam the table is about 0.05" low on one side in relation to the cutter head. Anybody know if it can be adjusted or can the cutter head be adjusted?

Have you tried contacting one of the Makita service centers? They might be able to shed some light on the problem. Or see if there is an owners manual online.
    Ken

If its anything like my 2030 (and from the parts diagram it looks to be) then there is no adjustment on the alignment of the table to the cutterhead. Everything on these machines is pinned together so they really cant come out of alignment.

Your planer table rides on 4 columns with a center screw assembly. My guess is that it is not riding as smoothly on one side as the other. You need to do a good cleanup on each column and make sure everything is shiney and lubed.

You didnt mention doing anything about the rollers. Until you fix those, its useless. There are several places on the web that recover them, I sent mine out to westernroller.com. They will strip off whatever is left, clean up the shafts and recoat them in a 70 duro polyurethane rubber. This stuff should last a very long time, unlike the material that Makita originally used. Its used in industrial applications quite a bit. My rollers cost about 175 to do both, including shipping. Thats quite a bit better than the 200 per replacement cost if you can even get them.

You can still get knives for this machine or you can have yours reground. I have been very impressed by the finish I get with my planer. Makita made some very good machinery way back when. As long as you can put up with that little screamer of a universal motor and don't take big bites it will serve you well.

Bob,

I have replaced the rollers and the knives. The rollers going bad was the reason it was parked for ten years in the first place. I have worked on the columns; but will take your suggests and do a bit more lube and shine, can't hurt. You are correct about the pins and the center screw. I really didn't think the table could be adjusted.

If that doesn't work, I guess I will have to cheat with the blade alignment. The problem seams to be repeatable.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jack