Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What have you built for Christmas

Wow, there are some beautiful pieces on here! I'm pretty new at this, so my work doesn't yet compare, but I made up six cutting boards using The Wood Whisperer's design. They came out pretty good, and were very well received.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Casiello View Post
    Wow, there are some beautiful pieces on here! I'm pretty new at this, so my work doesn't yet compare, but I made up six cutting boards using The Wood Whisperer's design. They came out pretty good, and were very well received.

Andy,

I think your work is great.........and the contrast is excellent. I know I would be proud to get one........so if you have any left feel free to send me one........! They did turn out great, keep up the good work!

procrastination

I had intended to be finished with this stool for my sister for Christmas...

I made it from some zebrawood ply scraps from another project and used solid edge banding. I think I might cut in some dovetail splines with purple heart in the miters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by James Manning View Post
    Andy,

I think your work is great.........and the contrast is excellent. I know I would be proud to get one........so if you have any left feel free to send me one........! They did turn out great, keep up the good work!
    Thanks, James! I enjoyed making them, and will probably make another batch, since people who saw them at Christmas, but didn't receive one placed "orders" for me to make more..

Really nice cutting boards but aren't you at all worried about that solidwood? It's going to blow all the joints open once it expands across the width..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Genovesi View Post
    I made some cutting boards for the girls. Hard maple centers bordered with Brazilian Cherry...

In Process

Pretty tight joint

Finished

Very nice job! Thanks for the link.

How long did it take to build? Any special tools that you needed?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by James Manning View Post
    Hi Jason,

Yes these are from plans that I purchased several years ago from plansnow.....the link is below. I have built several of these and only altered the plan on one, it really is a nice project. This one is actually for the wife..........since the other ones were built to sell, I told her this one was for a customer and stuck it in our store to hold it for them for christmas......... Should have seen her eyes tonight when we brought it in and I told her it was for her all along. I have sold all the rest and she really wanted one, so this was her's!

http://www.plansnow.com/dn1149.html

Attachment 104588

candle holder drawings

Jim - I remember seeing the plans for the candle holders in a magazine - where did you find them?

Thanks,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peters View Post
    Really nice cutting boards but aren't you at all worried about that solidwood? It's going to blow all the joints open once it expands across the width..

That's what the breadboard ends are for. They allow for movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Leasure View Post
    That's what the breadboard ends are for. They allow for movement.
    those aren't breadboard ends, breadboard ends are ends and ends only, those joints will fail at some point unfortunately

I made this small table for my wife:

It is meant to sit next to her chair and hold vital odds and ends. The holes in the top are for remote controls:

Wood is figured white oak with a linseed oil & wax finish. Little cloth bags stapled to the underside hold the remotes. I've got to resew one bag--one remote is way too long.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Casiello View Post
    Thanks, James! I enjoyed making them, and will probably make another batch, since people who saw them at Christmas, but didn't receive one placed "orders" for me to make more..
    Andy,

I hope you are going to get paid for your efforts.......!

I know just about every time I build something, someone in the family or friends will at some point tell me "oh I would love to have one of those" I will pay for the material "if you build it" And I'll responed well "hell" why don't you just let me buy the materials too, I mean I don't see any reason for you to be burden with something like PAYING for it.....

Vinny, Great work with the zebrawood ply.I would like to see the tables when finished.

Note; I've got eight sheets of zebrawood 3/4" ply, and wondering what to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peters View Post
    those aren't breadboard ends, breadboard ends are ends and ends only, those joints will fail at some point unfortunately
    Well that sucks, I've made several like that and got the technique from Taunton. Mine were walnut/cherry. I used cherry in the center, edge glued two walnut strips to the sides, then did exactly as he did using a tongue and groove breadboard end. Pinned and glued in the center, then screws in elongated slots on opposite sides of the pinned center. That way it gave the appearance of the cherry being totally framed by the walnut. (and it was)

So are mine going to implode sometime soon? Have a completely gotten the whole idea of them wrong?

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to a yearly project I do with my students, this link is a toy truck, this past year we made rubber band powered boats.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122102755.html

Personally for my nieces and nefews this year I made noise makers similar to this.

Wow!

I'm embarrassed to show mine now!

Although everyone's contributions gives me ideas.

Phil