Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hose/Cord Management

Hose/Cord Management

On the weekend I was routing a bunch of dados for a cabinet project. While doing this I was using my shop vac along with my Triton router. I was constantly cursing due to the vac hose or router power cord getting caught on my bench or the sheet goods or anything else they could possibly catch on. What solutions have you all found for keeping the hoses and cords in control during these kind of operations?

Thanks.
    Derek (-28 F today....Brrrrrrrr)

On low amp devices an overhead cord reel/reels should take care of the cord problem.
    David B

Smile

One word "festool"!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's a trick which works, but is harder to explain than do. I wrap the hose and power cable up my arm to my shoulders. The hose makes one wrap around my arm, goes across my shoulder to the other shoulder, down under that armpit, and on to the vacuum. You may well find some other winding pattern which works better for you and your equipment. The upside is that the hose and cable are no longer dragging on the workpiece or the bench, so they don't catch on stuff. The downside is that you look like you're getting eaten by some tentacled monster.

Blog Entries
    If there are items in the path that the cord and hose have to follow, they will grab on with a vengeance to the slightest thing it seems. I know where I plan to run the tool. I just keep the path clear.

I had an overhead rig but you can run into things with that as easily as with any thing else. It does avoid the problem of stepping over (or on) the hose however ;-). I found it more bother than benefit and went back to the floor but, all shop layouts and methods of work differ. What works for one person may be a train wreck for another.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the link below you will find a much less expensive alternative to the Fesstool boom. I made it myself and it works great. The link shows it hooked up to my circular saw and my sander but I also use it with my Dewalt 621 router.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98520

Boom vs. Reel

Shop notes no. 97 has a plan for a hose support reel but I like Paul's idea with the pvc pipe boom better. Attaching the boom to the vac/dust deputy cart also seems like a good move. What size pvc pipe did you use?

An even cheaper solution is to buy a few eye hooks and hang them from the joist bottoms over each workstation. Then just snake the elec cord thru it during projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Slutsky View Post
    Shop notes no. 97 has a plan for a hose support reel but I like Paul's idea with the pvc pipe boom better. Attaching the boom to the vac/dust deputy cart also seems like a good move. What size pvc pipe did you use?
    Adam

I used 1 1/4 pipe. I didn't bother gluing the fittings, that way I can make changes if necessary. I don't know if you noticed how the vertical pipe can rotate inside the brackets. This feature allows the boom to swing 360 degrees, which makes it capable of covering alot of area without having to move the whole setup.

Here's a pic of the hose management technique I described above. You can see the hose and power cord wrapping up my arm, over my shoulders, and down to the vac.

The hose and cable don't snag on anything. The tool goes wherever you can reach with your arm. You don't need to have booms and ceiling hooks and such cluttering up your shop. And the cost is zero dollars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by michael flay View Post
    One word "festool"!!
    Michael, is that the 11.5' hose that you have attached?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Michael - you shop looks like a dental office. With the chair and all, you need only a patient.

Festool boom arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    In the link below you will find a much less expensive alternative to the Fesstool boom. I made it myself and it works great. The link shows it hooked up to my circular saw and my sander but I also use it with my Dewalt 621 router.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98520

Paul, I love your set up. I'm going to put together something similar today. I like the idea of the brackets that allow the arm to pivot. I'll post pics when done. Thanks for the idea!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Vogel View Post
    Michael - you shop looks like a dental office. With the chair and all, you need only a patient.
    Hey! I have a dentists chair in my shop. New line of work that I never thought of, Thanks!