Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Craftsman TV Console

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Beck View Post

Nope, not an Airdale, but I have been on two carriers, so I guess I've picked up some "pilot speak" over the years.

I was a former YNC who got commissioned via the Limited Duty Officer program. I'm now a LCDR.

My only time in the PACNORWEST was during a port call to Seattle. I've never been stationed there. Beautiful country up that way though.
    Ah , Outstanding!

What carriers? I served with two Prowler squadrons , as a AE, I got out as a AE-1 back in 1990, deployed on Ranger / TR / and Lincoln.

Thanks for your service.

Plans

Beautiful piece-where did you get your plans? I showed this to my wife-it is a LONG way from pens and stoppers!

Second Request for Plans

Keith-

Great execution. I know what you mean about 3/4" QSWO plywood. NFP charges me a great deal for one sheet - cheaper with more (often considered stockpiling a few, but then, by the time I needed them who knows how they would look).

Did you consider veneering some other kind of plywood?

Do you have the plans?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Ah , Outstanding!

What carriers? I served with two Prowler squadrons , as a AE, I got out as a AE-1 back in 1990, deployed on Ranger / TR / and Lincoln.

Thanks for your service.
    Paul,

I was previously on the ENTERPRISE and I'm now serving on the CARL VINSON. Before I got commissioned, all my sea time was spent on small boys (CLEVELAND and LAKE CHAMPLAIN).

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Crew View Post
    Beautifull work.
    I plan on building a coffee table in the future, but need to build my skills further to be able to build a quality piece like yours.
    Matt,

Trust me, if I can do it anyone can! Really just a matter of following the plans closely and have the patience to see it through to the end. Trust me, there were plenty of errors made along the way!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pender View Post
    Keith-
    Did you consider veneering some other kind of plywood?

Do you have the plans?

Tom
    Tom,

I did toss around the idea of veneering some other plywood, but I've never veneered before and I didn't think I was up to veneering pieces this large, especially for my first time. Besides, by the time I got all the veneering supplies, it probably would've been cheaper in the long run just to buy the QSWO ply and be done with it.

The plans for the console can be found in Woodsmith issue 169 or downloaded from the following site: http://plansnow.com/dn1152.html

Keith

Veneering is not cheap

I get 4' by 8' QSWO veneer from NFP for about $95, once you figure out the glue with it, it is almost cheaper to use QSWO ply (not including buying veneer tools - a sunk cost, plus as tools they do not count -- with SWMBO). However, the figure on the last sheet of veneer I got was just so fine that I did not regret it.

Thanks on the plans, I have bought plans from them before and they are quite good.

Beautiful, Keith! I have all the Woodsmith mags as .pdf files, so I'll have to look this up - what issue is it in?

And you have excellent taste in films too - tho may I suggest "Diary of the Dead" to accentuate your zombie films?

This turned out really nice, love the finish!! Only thing I saw I didnt like was that Steelers fan sign hanging in your shop, take that thing down and it would look even better!! LOL
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.