Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birthday Waterfall Bubinga

Blog Entries

Birthday Waterfall Bubinga

OMG....What can I make with this wood?

My family decided to surprise me with this wood. I'm Stunned!!! I'll be afraid to make a cut on these slabs.

My first thoughts are to build heirloom pieces for each of my children...but what? All thoughts are appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

You must have been a very good boy this year. Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    OMG....What can I make with this wood?

My family decided to surprise me with this wood. I'm Stunned!!! I'll be afraid to make a cut on these slabs.

My first thoughts are to build heirloom pieces for each of my children...but what? All thoughts are appreciated!
    That sure is a great present. I would make them entry hall tables. That way they can show off your craftsmanship and that beautiful wood every time someone enters their houses.

Steve

Beautiful stuff Dave, and kudos for the family thinking of that as a present!

BTW, did I happen to see your woodshop gracing the pages of Fine Woodworking not long ago?

How about a beautiful dinning table that you could have great family dinners on?

Congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What a great family to choose and give such a special present for you. You are blessed.

I'd have to vote for something LARGE so that you can see the unique size of those pieces. They beg for something their scale. What is another question. I'd probably be thinking a large table Nakashima style so all that wood character could be seen and admired.

Whatever you do with it - and if it takes your three years to figure out what (this is a lifetime project) - please post your photos here.

Well Dave,

Seeing that we're in the same neck of the woods, if you have trouble deciding what to do with that magnificent wood, I'd gladly take it off of your hands and relieve you of the burden of having to decide what to build.

Congrats! What a great gift, I agree with others that you should use it for a project that your family can use and enjoy too.

I see a very nice dining table with about a 3/4" open slot down the middle...

(Wow...nice gift! You must have been a VERY good boy this year!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Beautiful stuff Dave, and kudos for the family thinking of that as a present!

BTW, did I happen to see your woodshop gracing the pages of Fine Woodworking not long ago?
    Yeah, I was proud of that article. So many good things have happened this year!
    My wife bought this bubinga 6 months ago after I had seen it a a local Woodcraft. They stored it there and delivered it to my house today. I had NO idea that she bought it after I mentioned that they had a beautiful piece of wood there. Kudos to Gary at the Kentwood, MI Woodcraft store for his great service.
    In regards to me being a good boy this year....hmmm... I grew up in an age where being a good boy was not something to be strived for. Bad boys sometimes have the most fun.
    Last edited by Dave Verstraete; 12-24-2008 at 8:44 AM. Reason: messed up the quote
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

It would seem that you are blessed to have a wonderful, caring family and that they are blessed to have YOU!! As we say down South....an even swap ain't a swindle!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Talking

...I'm thinking toothpicks...hundreds of thousands of toothpicks...

I'm not sure what I would make, but I would definitely make veneer out if it. I'd want to get as much mileage out of that as possible. Nice score. I saw a couple of pieces of that at my local Rockler, and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Dave, you obviously know how much your family spent on this gift - that is a huge expression of love and also, of the realization of how much woodworking means to you. I would be overwhelmed.

Are those slabs about 1.25 - 1.5"? I would have to think long and hard about how to best utilize these.

I know the natural response is a table, but I would want some vertical application as I think the character of the grain would be most appreciated in that setting.

Oh wow - that is very, very nice. Your family definitely has a knack for picking good gifts. I agree with others who have said that it should be something large to take advantage of such a large piece which seem to be getting more and more rare these days.

How about if you make some sawdust?? Your shop looks a little too clean to me!