Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping from Amazon question

Shipping from Amazon question

Sure, I've ordered a number of things from Amazon, the largest of which was my CMS. Typically, fast shipping, well-packed, etc... But NOW, I'm looking at ordering a REAL piece of shop equipment, which will just slightly exceed the UPS limits. (Only by about 350lbs. or so, but still....)

Anyhow, what's been the experience with Amazon's logistics on shipping large items? I'm NOT a business with a loading dock and the road in front of the house is a state highway, not some residential street with limited traffic. Previous large deliveries from Laguna and such, were transferred to smaller carriers with straight trucks and liftgates. I don't know if Amazon would include something like that with their "free shipping" or not. Anybody with a bit more info on this? Appreciate it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John-The one non-UPS (or USPS) delivery I got from Amazon was a 6" Jet jointer. I remember I went to the Fed Ex facility in town-about a 10 minute ride-to pick it up. I can't remember why I picked it up, as opposed to having them deliver it. I suspect they tried a delivery when I wasn't home and the simplest thing for me at the time was to go get it myself.

I don't recall any indication from Amazon that I could arrange delivery, or a lift gate or anything like that.

Sorry that my CRS keeps getting worse. HTH,
    Tony

I purchased a Delta 6" Jointer from Tool Crib (telephone order to make sure of rebates and discount) that was delivered by tailgate truck and dropped on my driveway. It really was much easier than trying to pick it up at the freight office and try to unload it myself. My shop is located in my back yard and accesible only by hand truck which makes moving large items difficult. The actual truck delivery was much faster than they told me when ordering. I have had good success with orders from Amazon with delivery and minimal damage has been quickly addressed. My last purchase was a Beisenmeyer fence that arrived 2 days ahead of promised date, and the damaged end plactic cap was replaced by Beisenmeyer when they sent the switch adapter bracket. I plan to order more with the special deals, free shipping, and no sales tax.

John,
    My jointer, planer, drill press were all from Amazon and with free shipping, no tax and no problem. My driveway is 500 feet long and the driver pusher it on a hand truck or pallet jack! I think the used Consolidated Freight for one machine. The joinr is a DJ 20 so it was probably 450 pounds or so. The drill press and planer were large also.Very good service and I couldn't beat the price. Another thing I do is drive my Tundra to the street and they load it in and then I drive it in and unload with a buddy or two...couple of beers...Laker Game...Scratch that last idea
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 06-16-2004 at 9:08 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    unload with a buddy or two...couple of beers...Laker Game...Scratch that last idea
    What's a "Laker"?! (Sorry...Couldn't resist. ) So, how do you like your DJ-20? LOML just told me to, "Go for it!", and who the heck am I to argue?! From everything I've read and heard, as well as a very positive report from our own "Mr. Delta" (John Weber), I think this is the one I'm going to go with and the main purpose of this thread's question. As I understand it, the extended infeed table and the way it's mounted, is far superior to most Taiwan/China clones. What say you, oh wise one?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

MiniMax.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

John,

Several years ago, I ordered a Jet cabinet saw from Amazon. One of their shipping choices was 3rd day air (FedEx) for $25. With that option they always deliver it on a small straight truck with a lift gate. Worth every penny in my opinon. If they still offer it, I would recommend it.

Brian

Thanks for the replies and insight, gentlemen! Guess I'll be giving them a call in the morning. I do have an alternate plan if they can't do the straight truck/lifgate thing. It's just a bit more hassle. BTW Chris, Amazon doesn't sell MM!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

G0! GO! GO!

It only hurts once...

John

John,
    I am very happy with the DJ20...I like the long infeed table. One person can handle a 10' hardwood board reasonably well. It is very easy to set up. And very easy to change blades. I just have one set. I sharpen them on the Tormek and pop them back in. I just lay a good true level or square and get them flush with the outfeed table. The DJ 20 has a default setting for the "last pass" After you take heavy cuts you can end it with a final light pass. This cleans up some of the marks and if there is a bit of roughness. I still take a hand plane to it. You can adjust the depth of the default to your preference. I had the 6"Jet before this and there is no comparison. I think the DJ 20 is 1 1/2 hp which is plenty even for face jointing. It is so dependable, I don't even think about it and I have never had the urge to upgrade. The Euro boys are nice but are more Euros and shorter beds typically. Dust collection is great!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    As I understand it, the extended infeed table and the way it's mounted, is far superior to most Taiwan/China clones.
    The DJ20 uses a parallelogram mechanism for the infeed table adjustment (as does my FS350). This design keeps the end of the table closest to the knives at the same distance from the knives. On most jointers, the gap varries. This feature is one of the main reasons this particular jointer enjoys the price it commands.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

[QUOTE=John Miliunas]What's a "Laker"?!

its a greasy skinned fish right one from the cool waters of paridiseor they sometimes have an alias of (losers this year)
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

When I ordered my contractor saw from Tool Crib, it came Consolidated Freight on a full 65-foot semi-truck! Only thing on the truck running through neighborhood streets, really kind of stupid. Plus it had no lift-gate and the driver wasn't going to help lift it off! Had to get a couple friends and take off work to unload myself. Big hassle, but worth it for the saw.

14. Wink

John,

With all my purchases from “Amazon.com”, having exceeding weights there was a charge of Twenty dollars ($20.00) or so, if I didn’t have facilities to off load. In practice, Mr. ABF arrived with a forty-foot or shorter trailer and made friendly, short work of his lift gate.

Unless things have changed recently, you should be happy with the delivery. But I agree with Chris.

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Sure, I've ordered a number of things from Amazon, the largest of which was my CMS. Typically, fast shipping, well-packed, etc... But NOW, I'm looking at ordering a REAL piece of shop equipment, which will just slightly exceed the UPS limits. (Only by about 350lbs. or so, but still....)

Anyhow, what's been the experience with Amazon's logistics on shipping large items? I'm NOT a business with a loading dock and the road in front of the house is a state highway, not some residential street with limited traffic. Previous large deliveries from Laguna and such, were transferred to smaller carriers with straight trucks and liftgates. I don't know if Amazon would include something like that with their "free shipping" or not. Anybody with a bit more info on this? Appreciate it!
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 06-17-2004 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Remove embedded characters and resize font.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Lakers?? Who?

Speaking of the Lakers..... I believe they are now home in LA sulking over the recent results and figuring who to blame. Sorry couldn't resist . Even Woodworkers are sometimes mean! Enjoy your new heavy tool. Jerry