Thread: Repairing Table Top

Repairing Table Top

I am in the process of repairing a solid walnut round table top that was damaged in a flood. Most of the joints have partially delaminated. My first thought was to disassemble the top, clean the joints, and re-glue with yellow glue. The problem is the portion of the joints that have held together, will not separate easily, and I am afraid that forcing apart them will cause too much damage. I was wondering if using polurethane glue, which seems to expand as it cures might be a solution. I though about using a spray bottle to lightly spray water into the open joints, and then squeeze in the polyurethane glue, using the water as an activator for the glue. The only other idea I had was to use 2 part epoxy and force that into the open joints. In both cases, it would seem to reduce the need to heavily clamp the table while either glue cures. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I see your not getting too many answers Rob. I have done numerous repairs like this over the years and another just two weeks ago. A round stool seat in the same condition as your table top. From experience I have learned that it is always better to disassemble if possible. It will not hurt the piece if the wood breaks near the joint as you are relaminating the pieces. Clamp strips of wood to the top (with a 45 deg chamfor to facilitate the break) and bottom of the top along both sides of the joint you want to break. this will keep the break close to the joint if the joint itself does not give way. Apply pressure from top to bottom in case the wood splinters, it will be underneath. The important thing is cleaning the old glue and dirt from the portion of the joint that delaminated and any other that may have shown up after the break. I have found you usually get a better joint when the glued joint holds and you break the wood along the joint. No matter what, remember that the wood is water damaged and it may be impossible to get a perfect joint. this is where crack filling and refinishing come in. Hope this makes sense. Good luck and have fun doing it as disappointment results in unfinished work. Let us know how it goes.
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.