Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for eye protection?

What do you use for eye protection?

I was wondering what everyone here was using for eye protection.

I used to wear glasses, but after some laser surgery I had didn't need them anymore and had to get something just for the protection.

I'm now using racquetball goggles. They don't fog up and I get 100% coverage. Plus when they're clean I can't tell they're on.

Basic safety glasses of a design that fit over my eyeglasses

They scratch up like mad, so I have one pair I keep in a plastic bag for when I need to see precisely.

I use wrap-around shooting glasses, or a pair of general Borg safety glasses most of the time. I do use a face shield when lathe turning, but I don't do that very often.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Safety glasses with glass lenses. In a woodshop, glass lenses are better than plastic because they don't have the static-electricity effect which attracts sawdust, and they're much more scratch-resistant. These are OHSA-approved safety glasses. I got them from an optometrist. The optometrist route also gets you glasses sized for your face. "One-size-fits-all" generally doesn't.

A Triton Powered Respirator. Full face coverage, hearing protection, and dust protection.

$179 on Amazon.

Dennis, I had LASIK in early 2003 which took me from extremely near-sighted to "eagle eye" at a distance. I wear safety glasses with "cheater" lenses on the bottom because the eventual effects of aging do not go away with eye surgery. I buy them from http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/index.html. I prefer the type that have the cheater portion large and across most of the bottom of the lens...cheapies don't seem to give that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just regular safety glasses I get from work.
    They encourage us to use them off the job as well.
    And my cheapie reading glasses.
    I got a really nice set of O-fishal eye doctor ko-rective glasses with titanium frames! 5 days later I watched $267.00 worth of glasses happily sink to the bottom of a fishin lake I go to.
    The sonar said the depth was 176 feet. I reckon them glasses are going to stay down there.
    Hence the reason I just use cheapie reading glasses...

Prescription safety glasses from Sam's Club. No line bifocals, polycarb lenses, frames w/ side shields for $150 about 3 years ago. My Rx hasn't changed so neither have my safety glasses.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I have about 30 pairs of safety glasses sitting around so one is nearly always within reach.

If price wasn't an object I would get another set of Oakley's. I have a three lens set and wear the clears on the job sometimes and they are very nice indeed.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Two kinds of protection here

I wear the wrap arounf plastic goggles that fit over my glasses. When turning, I also wear a face shield.

Dennis - I was wondering if you have verified that the racketball goggles provide the same protection as those designed for the shop? I would just hate to see some feel safe and still be at risk for an eye injury.

Blog Entries
    Prescription safety glasses. I never have to remember to put them on; I can't see much detail if I have them off
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I wear a pair of vintage safety goggles, they have wire mesh sides to prevent metal chips from getting in, when working metal. They are not prescription, so I typically only wear them while I'm doing actual cutting.

Would like to have prescription safety glasses, and maybe I'll get prescription safety lenses for these, but in the meantime they are what I use.

Bought mine on ebay for about $25. Bought them when I started to study blacksmithing a few years ago, my instructor wouldn't let anyone in the smithy without them, or steel toed boots, yet another great safety precaution.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

In regard to safety measures, my metalworking hobbies tend to spread back to my woodworking methods.

For faceshields, I've been very happy with my Uvex Bionic

For more basic eye protection, I've long since given up on just glasses and switched over to goggles - currently Jackson Wildcats

I find both quite comfortable and you can get anti-fog lenses for each.

Glasses here,but eyewear should be important when operating all types of saws. I try to avoid ALL Chinese made saw blades because due to their disregard for the safety of all Americans, I believe there is a good chance of a carbide flying right off the blade if you use a blade from them.

Face shield for turning, shooting glasses for all else. Much of the time I use $8 cheapo reading glasses as they are made of fairly durable plastic. I've walked on them, dropped heavy tools on them and they never break or shatter...at least mine don't.

Burt