Thread: Noisy Compressor

Noisy Compressor

For Christmas I got a very loud 3 gallon CH air compressor. I plan to mount I'd under my bench and run a short hose out the end towards my lathe. The only thing I intend to use it for is to blow dust off of turnings when I am sanding. My question is this, is there a way I can build it in that will dampen the incredible noise at least a little bit?

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Fiberglass insulation on the inside walls of a box surrounding the compressor will cut the sound considerably. You will want to leave enough of an opening to supply fresh air to the intake of the compressor.
    David B

sound deadening

I have researched sound deadening a lot and learned that density is what works best. MDF is a Very good material to use to build a box around the compressor. I made some window plugs in my shop that worked extremely well to keep the noise within my shop. Good luck Russ

If what you have is a oilless compressor, they are inherently loud (loud enough to almost raise the dead IMO) the suggestion to use dense materials made earlier by a prev. poster is good, plus add some sound absorbing lining to help lessen the noise, but you will need to also decide how to handle the heat produced by the compressor & dispose of it.....

Buy a compressor that has a piston and is oil lubed........These pancake compressors (oil-free) are just too loud if they are not used outdoors IMHO...

I had something similar a while ago. I built a box for it and lined it with carpet that I had left over in the attic. I used weather seal around the door. It didn't make it silent but it did make it a lot better.

Sometimes people would ask how the air got in. It was never a problem but I suppose air got in via the holes for the air hose and power cord. People would also ask about heat. It did warm up in there over extended usage but but over time I didn't care. I wanted the machine to die because of the noise and I ended up replacing it after 7 or 8 years even though it was still going strong.