Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meanderin' Through Some Neanderin'

Time is relative, but given the surface left from a good smoother (and a scraper if employed) is "ready to finish", one needs to consider all the time "not spent" sanding. I will most certainly employ this method for fine furniture projects based on the results of this project.

That said, between the aches and pains in my hands, arms and shoulders from the plane work and the aches and pains in my thighs, calves and ankles from the equestrian stuff...I'm a walking advertisement for analgesics...LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jim,

You get used to it. Just think about what would happen if you tried to run a 5K without any training. You['d be really sore as well. But the more you use hand tools, the more your muscles get trained, and then it becomes not a big deal.

Wilbur
    (who doesn't get sore using hand planes, but gets really sore after going running)

You're correct, Wilbur. The major challenge for me is that I'm not in the shop or at the barn enough to really "get used" to the effects of either activity. For either to become more regular, I'll need a visit from the Prize Patrol...
    --

Blog Entries
    I have to work a little harder now days to push a plane.

My weight has gone down about 15 pounds since moving to my new shop.

Just do not have as much body mass to throw into the job as I used to.

Though I have been getting sore in places I didn't even know I had places shoveling snow.

Now that is a new one for me.

jim

I completed assembly of the table yesterday and got it oiled. Today, two brushed applications of dewaxed shellac were applied to the entire table and the top then got two sprayed coats of Target Coatings USL...my kids are, um...unforgiving...on table tops. I'm including two pictures here for this thread, but will post additional pictures in the Woodworking Projects forum sometime tomorrow.

Apron detail just after the shellac was applied. It doesn't look quite this shiny now.

ebo-table-2.jpg

The almost completed table...I still need to join the top to the base, but will wait for the finish to cure overnight before doing that.

ebo-table-1.jpg

This was very kewel going right to finishing without sanding......a "weekend" table, if you will. Honestly, this could have been done start-to-finish in a single long day and I do mean rough lumber to final spray coats.
    --

Beautiful Jim. That English oak is really nice.
    How did your adjustable bench handel the neandering?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Final Pictures Posted

Final pictures are posted in this thread in the Woodworking Projects Forum.
    --

Sorry Jim, you can't be a Galoot if you actually finish projects. You'll give the rest of us a bad name. Especially if you pull it off this fast, this is terrible. I hope my wife doesn't come in and read this thread over my shoulder!!! It's all about managing expectations, you see...

Really nice Jim. It sure looks right at home in that room also!

I have to agree with Marcus, finishing projects is gonna give the rest of us a bad name, what's up with that?
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward View Post
    Sorry Jim, you can't be a Galoot if you actually finish projects. You'll give the rest of us a bad name. Especially if you pull it off this fast, this is terrible. I hope my wife doesn't come in and read this thread over my shoulder!!! It's all about managing expectations, you see...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    I have to agree with Marcus, finishing projects is gonna give the rest of us a bad name, what's up with that?
    LOL. It's always somewhat of a "no win" situation with these things. I'm dealing with the conflict of woodworking vs equestrian right now. I'm doing both, of course. And working for a living, cooking during the week when not traveling, adult laundry, etc. Professor Dr. SWMBO is, of course, concerned with time factors. Yet I've also completed two projects this month...in addition to this table, there is the tack trunk. Oh, and finally got the glass in the doors of the wet bar.

But I'll try really hard to "not finish something" in the future...
    --

Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed.

The figure in the wood makes it clear why this piece ended up going home with you from the lumber yard.

If you want to get rid of sandpaper, you could get a small radius plane for breaking the corners.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you want to get rid of sandpaper, you could get a small radius plane for breaking the corners.
    LOL...any excuse for another tool!
    --

Don't buy the slickplane, I think grizzly sells it, among others. The mouth .. well it doesn't really have one, it's just a blade with a big gap in front of it and it produces some terrible tear out if you're not using it on straight 2x4s. Get a couple of hollow or round planes (never sure which one produces a round edge) and use that. It does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    LOL...any excuse for another tool!
    More like any excuse to ditch the sandpaper!
    If LOML saw your timeline here, she'd be asking me why the bed I started in May is still a stack of parts awaiting some finish application and final assembly....
    I too have limited shop time, but I've been the big limiting factor of late as I've been spending time in tree stand versus shop.
    Oh yeah, nice table Jim! I like the sap wood on the skirt, nice touch to carry that element from the top to the rest of the piece!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    I like the sap wood on the skirt, nice touch to carry that element from the top to the rest of the piece!
    I just couldn't not do that, Greg...the wood spoke. And I listened. Darn that George Nakashima and his Soul of a Tree book! LOL But don't tell Professor Dr. SWMBO that I can hear, especially when wood is speaking. Apparently, I don't hear so well when she is speaking sometimes....
    --