View Poll Results: Do you read the manual?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always!

40 39.22%
  • Sometimes

43 42.16%
  • Rarely

16 15.69%
  • Never!

3 2.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTM? Who reads the manual?

RTM? Who reads the manual?

Just another silly poll to waste your time. I'm just wondering how many people actually stop and read the manual when they buy something new or put something together.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

All depends on what it is...

Funny related story - the other week I was at one of the BORG stores in the finishes section picking up a few things. A pair of older women approached me to ask if I knew anything about using stains. I replied that I knew a few things and asked what their question was. Long story short(er) - they had applied the stain but a day later and it was still thick and greasy and didn't look anything like the pictures... Ummm... "Did you wipe it off?" I asked... "Wipe it off? We want to apply it!" was basically their answer. Turning a can around I read the instructions to them (paraphrased) "Apply stain, wait five to fifteen minutes, wipe off with a clean rag, wait twenty-four hours, top coat..."

"Well, how were we supposed to know that we were supposed to do that?"

Ummm... It says to right on the can?

Thomas,
    WHERE'S THEIR SIGN??????
    David B

Read the manual! I thought that was somthing you do only when all else fails.

We bought a computer over the weekend -- there was no manual. Took 10 minutes to find the darn "on" button.

I say it depends on the situation and the content of said manual. Some manuals are nothing but garbled "metric English" (direct translations to English from the country of origin's native language). Other manuals have very good detailed instructions, drawings etc.
    I deal with some large complicated machines at work where the manuals are numerous 3 ring binders with 100's of pages for electrical prints etc.
    I've always heard it referred to "RTFM", but that's usually after someone's tried to start up a machine and seems to be having issues.
    Reminds me of a college professor I had, if you ran off topic or got something totally wrong he'd strike a line through your work and write in caps "RTFQ".

Al - of course there was a manual with your computer - its on a pdf file on the hard drive! (grinnnnnnn!)
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I guess I am in the minority. I always read the manual. First thing I unpack. Lately it has been hard because it may be buried in the packing materials. I read the on line manual before I purchase if it exists on line. It was a hard lesson to learn that the round peg goes into the round hole. Even If I could get a bigger hammer and have it aknowledge that it does fit.

Blog Entries
    I've been a professional network geek for over 25 years. I RTFM on everything. Compared to the 'light reading' I do at work, tool manuals are a snapshot.

P.s. My ego is stable enough that I also ask for directions ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm a guy and I don't have a clue what a manual is.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I buy most of my tools second hand, so I'm lucky if I get a manual. Sometimes, if I'm stumped, I'll look online for one for a specific purpose, but generally "no," I don't read 'em. Assembling things is different... I'll generally read instructions for that.

I'm in the sometimes pile. If it is something I've done before, then now. l do read it on new items most of the times. And in cases where I can get a hold of it before the purchase, I'll go through it to make sure it will do what I want. Like the manual for the new GrizzlyG0691. I've read it, and Griz doesn't even have the saw yet!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

If it's a major tool, I download the manual and read it before I purchase.

"Minor" tools, I read the manual after I purchase - and sometimes after I use the tool. But I often find additional things I can do (or adjust) by reading the manual.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

While I picked "sometimes" in the poll, I would have liked the option to choose "eventually"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You're supposed to read that thing?! I thought it was to put in the throne room in case you ran out of the paper on the roll next to the throne!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling