View Poll Results: Which Dado Set should I get?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freud Super Dado

28 28.57%
  • Freud Dial-A-Dado

21 21.43%
  • Forrest Dado King

28 28.57%
  • Other

21 21.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dado Set Selection

Intersting results. So far the poll is telling me that my dillema is consistent with the community. FWIW, last night I voteed for the dial-a-dado based on the favorable comments and at this point it's tied with the Super dado.

I limited my choice to these three since they are what is available with the discount. I would probably buy the Dado king for $225 before the infinity or Ridge Carbide if I was looking for ultimate performance. Right now I'm barely leaning toward the Dial-a Dado over the Super Dado
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I have a Freud 208 .. its been okay..

If I where buying one today.. I would either get the Forrest or the Tenryu .. They are about the same $$ ..

The Freud Dial unit is interesting .. no need for shims... Not sure but I would look at it too.
    Rick,
    Have used both, and many others mentioned here, including the Feud Dial unit. Have owned a few, too. My last set is the Tenryu. I'll never buy another brand. In fact, all my blades are Tenryu, now.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    Rick,
    Have used both, and many others mentioned here, including the Feud Dial unit. Have owned a few, too. My last set is the Tenryu. I'll never buy another brand. In fact, all my blades are Tenryu, now.
    Gene - Does Tenryu make a dado stack with more than 2-tooth chippers or is that their only set?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The Forrest was on my list, and at 25% off that sounds like a good deal. How do you get the discount? On Rockler's website it still shows as $299.

Mike

I love my Forrest Dado King set. I think it was well worth the money.
    Robbie

Forrest WWII 40t was my first blade, and I've just gone ahead from there - 6 blades plus dado. I have been delighted with the dado set, and with Forrest sharpening service. Have no experience with other makes and don't think I ever will.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

One of the FS Tools dado sets, pick the one for your application.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    What do you mean shimming over and over? I have several sets of dados and any like the Delta set that might require a shim get numbered for future use. This allows me to get the same setup as in the past....
    You're much more foward thinking than I. I use Lee Valley shims and tend to destroy them. I did try to make a chart telling me what shims and cutters to use for various thicknesses, but even with that, I still end up tweaking with shims.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    Mike,
    Here's a link to Freud's compatibility chart. It specifies maximum flange OD (2-1/2") and arbor length (1-3/16" for full 29/32" dado)
    http://www.freudtools.com/t-608-compatible.aspx

Thank you Gary!

Is there a discount code?
    Thank You
    Ed

There is no discount code. The latest flier has a coupon that is good for in store use only. If you don't get the flier they usually have plenty in the stores.

BTW, the results are close so you guys aren't helping me... other than amybe all 3 are good.
    Gary

Super Dado

One more vote for the super dado. Nice clean cuts... Works great for me even on my less than super charged Ridgid 3650.

I use a craftsman dado set with chippers and metal shims. I've never seen a Frued Dial-A-Dado, but it sounds like a wobbler. I've used several brands of wobblers over the years, and in my opinion, those things are really scary. I wouldn't recommend one to anybody.

(Edit: After researching the Dial-A-Dado, I would like say it is not what I thought it was. It seems like a very good tool that would save lots of time over a traditional stacked dado set. Sorry for my misunderstanding.)
    Last edited by Austin Lange; 12-04-2009 at 3:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jolly View Post
    You didn't mention what saw you have so regarding the Freud Dial-A-Dado, the arbor isn't long enough on many saws...
    I HATE setting up the dado, but specifically didn't buy a dial-a-dado for my PM2000 for this very reason. I don't remember the figure I calculated for max width on my saw, but it was considerably below the stated max of the DAD when arbor length isn't an issue.

Dan

Well, I bought a dado blade after work today. I had decided on the Dial-A-Width Dado even though the poll favored the Super Dado by 3 votes. The guys at Rockler advised against it citing complaints of wobbling and having the setting move during tightening. I had concerns about durability too.
    So I wound up with the Super Dado which was also the winner of the poll. Technically the poll spread was 5 since I voted for the Dial-A-Width but bought the Super Dado. Anyway, Thanks everyone for your participation. I'll be checking it out this weekend. I hope it cuts as good as my Premiere Fusion Blade.
    Last edited by Gary Muto; 12-04-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    The guys at Rockler advised against it citing complaints of wobbling and having the setting move during tightening.
    That is such a crock. I have never had my adjustments move when tightening. And the only wobble I had is when I had a chipper accidentally on top of the left outer blade. Completely my fault and did not wobble after I fixed it. I have had mine on and off probably 100 times and had no problems what so ever. But that is besides the point. Congrats on the new set. I hope it serves you well.

Chuck