Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corel and Windows 10

Corel and Windows 10

Just curious if anyone has Corel Draw X5 and has used it with Windows 10 yet? I'm running 8.1 right now and figure 10 will be ok, but just wanted to see if anyone else has made the leap yet?
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Runs fine on mine Mike

That said I don't use 10 on the works machines yet (don't fancy being a bug tester for Microsoft)
    You did what !

Yea Dave, I hear ya.. Not a huge fan of windows anyway, but I detest 8.1 even more... My laser PC is just that.. Dedicated to the laser.. I run Corel, Laser driver software and dropbox.. Nothing else... So really it's not a huge deal if I upgrade, but I do hate the quirks of 8.1... And no.. I'm not going to go back to Win 7 (Not worth the $$ for it..)....
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

My neighbour just upgraded his new (3 month old) top end gaming computer to Win 10 - and has spent all weekend trying to get it back to win 8.

I'll be waiting a year or so before upgrading...
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

Interesting if windows 10 manages to be worse than windows 8 looks like I'm going to be stuck buying win 7 refurbs for another 3 years. I have one windows 8 pc, it never gets used, horrible operating system. Those looking to jump to win 10, keep in mind even if it is great it will take awhile for all the software vendors and laser vendors to fully update their software. Best give it a year as Chris said.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

My main machine upgraded to 10 during Saturday night.
    Had two minor problems -

It failed to pick up on my graphics card and loaded a generic driver which resulted in a low resolution fuzzy screen.
    Fixed by downloading the proper Nvidia driver.

Network discovery and sharing was turned off by default (even though it appeared to be connected to my homegroup), which led to a few hours of head scratching when the other computers wouldn't talk to it.

Apart from those problems, everything is now running as it should.
    I've not noticed any major differences to 8.1 (other than the start things) and so far am left wondering what all the fuss is about.

I did notice that there are lots of settings about location and adverts, so presumably we can expect M/S to make their money by bombarding us with adverts like the Android apps do.

BTW : I found W8 completely unworkable, but (once configured to my liking) W8.1 was absolutely fine and very stable. I'll be happy to upgrade my workshop computer from 7 to 10 when its turn comes.
    Last edited by Michael Hunter; 08-03-2015 at 6:14 AM.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

FYI there are legal ways to go to Windows 7, even official downloads. But they ask before the download for your Activation code, sticker code whatever. So if you have a Win 7 trashed computer or have the code available your good to go.

So for those who have gone to 10, is it true your paying rent by the year to use the new OS?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So for those who have gone to 10, is it true your paying rent by the year to use the new OS?
    According to Microsoft, the upgrade is completely free - forever.

You still need to pay for W10 on a new machine (or a pre- W7 one), but that is supposed to be a 1-off payment too.

I'm sure that they are hoping to make money from adverts etc., but unless you download lots of apps from their store I don't think that will be an issue.

Beats me why anyone would want to go back to W7 - 8.1 was much more stable and it looks as though W10 will be good too.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Anyone with a Win8 machine and not enjoying the experience should download http://www.classicshell.net/. Makes Win8 almost operate the same way as Win7.

Also Win10 is getting pretty solid reviews. The reality is you're asking for trouble using a new OS the first few weeks after release. Wait a few months at minimum. It's free to download for the next year.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

get it once SP1 is released, it should be stable then
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Morris View Post
    get it once SP1 is released, it should be stable then
    If Microsoft sticks to their word, there'll never be a SP1. Updates will be deployed as they're deemed ready and there'll be no update bundles like a service pack. I don't know how subject to change that is.

I updated my home computer, it's just used for email and browsing the web so no great loss if things went haywire. So far, so good! Other than a new interface it works exactly as Win 7 did on this semi-old laptop. I'm not ready to update my office computers yet, will wait a few weeks just to be sure, then I'll update one at a time until I'm sure they are working.

The folks over on the ThinkPad Lenovo forum are doing the upgrade to Win 10 even on the older machines like the T43. I tend to wait for the SP1 or 2 but very happy with 7 on my W500 and T520 Lenovo. I can not believe MS is going to let people skate for free. I am sure there will be mandatory pay for upgrades in the future. No big corporation is going to give a new OS away for free.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I can not believe MS is going to let people skate for free. I am sure there will be mandatory pay for upgrades in the future. No big corporation is going to give a new OS away for free.
    There is an angle for sure, but not sure exactly what it is. My guess, however, is that there will be an expanded or pro version, something bigger, better, faster, etc., that will cost something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Anyone with a Win8 machine and not enjoying the experience should download http://www.classicshell.net/. Makes Win8 almost operate the same way as Win7.

Also Win10 is getting pretty solid reviews. The reality is you're asking for trouble using a new OS the first few weeks after release. Wait a few months at minimum. It's free to download for the next year.
    Agreed Ross,

however I'm using another program called 'Start Menu X' to create the normal start menu layout, works nice, especially for the 'control panel' and device manager etc.
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop